#WellnessWeds: 10 Exercises to Do at Your Desk
The work day for most Americans is usually very busy with work, expectations and deadlines while also being quite sedentary. Here are a few facts to help motivate you to live a healthier lifestyle for better health even during the work day.
- Over 60% of chronic disease cases can be avoided entirely through lifestyle changes; such as including, exercise, eating more fruits and veggies, and tobacco cessation
- By losing 5-10 percent of body weight and increasing moderate activity to 150 minutes per week, one can prevent diabetes and other chronic conditions
- 10 weeks of weight-bearing exercise can double your strength and improve your bone density
- Muscle mass is linked to longevity of life
- Inactivity boosts the risk of cancer
And between 1980 and 2000:
- Exercise rates stayed the same
- Sitting time increased by 8%
- Obesity doubled
To make a long story short, we do have some control here and we can make efforts to move more. Therefore, I wanted to share some of my favorite desk exercises that I try to do throughout the work day. My goal is to do one of these exercises every hour and I choose the one that makes the most sense for me at that time of day. The best part is that you don’t need any equipment for these desk exercises.
Check out the video below to learn all 10 desk exercises that you can start incorporating into your work day for a healthier you.
Try them and let me know how you like them or share with me desk exercises you might do at work.
Photo Credit: e skene