#NoMeatFridays: Where to Find Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants in Michigan
Whether you have a specific food allergy, are following Lent, prefer meatless dishes or are on a specific diet for health reasons, I find that a lot of restaurants are becoming more accommodating than ever to meet the needs of these special diets.
There are numerous restaurants in Michigan that have a lot of healthy, delicious and meatless dishes to choose from. Here are a few if you are looking to try a new restaurant (this list is by no means all-inclusive):
- Marie Catrib’s — Grand Rapids. Not exclusively vegetarian, but plenty of sandwiches, salads, soups and Middle Eastern fare for the herbivores among us.
- More vegan friendly restaurants in Grand Rapids
- Crow’s Nest Restaurant (or check out their Urbanspoon page) — Kalamazoo. Vegan options abound at this vegetarian outpost that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Traveler’s Club — Okemos. Latin, Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Woody’s Oasis — Lansing and East Lansing. Mediterranean cuisine.
- Pannini’s Deli — Saginaw. Vegetarian panini.
- Inn Season — Royal Oak. Fresh and creative organic vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Seva — Ann Arbor and Detroit. Complete vegetarian cuisine, including ethnic favorites, and full bar.
- Sprout House — Grosse Pointe Park. Fresh vegetarian soups and sandwiches served at a cozy health-food store.
- Om Cafe — Ferndale. Vegetarian, Vegan and Macrobiotic cuisine at this long-running Woodward Avenue spot.
- Traffic Jam & Snug — Detroit. Lots of vegetarian options, plus house-made beer and cheese at this Midtown stalwart.
And the list goes on. Do you have a favorite restaurant that serves meatless and healthy dishes? What meatless dishes do you like to eat when you dine out?
Photo credit: Thomas Hawk