The Nutritional Value of Egg Whites Versus Egg Yolks: What Do You Use?

What came first, the chicken or the egg? My vote is the egg, especially since this post is all about them. The latest and greatest debate lately has been: What is better for you, the egg white or egg yolk?

Eggs are a great source of a complete high quality protein with few calories. One whole egg has ~5.5 grams of protein in only ~68 calories. Eggs contain choline, which is important, especially since our bodies can not produce enough of it. Without enough choline, you can also become deficient in another essential nutrient, folic acid.

Let’s take a closer look at each.

Egg Whites

Egg whites are a low-calorie, fat-free food. They contain the bulk of the egg’s protein. The egg white contains about 4 grams of protein, 55 mg of sodium and only 17 calories. A single egg white also offers 1.3 micrograms of folate, 6.6 mcg of selenium, 2.3 mg of calcium, 3.6 mg of magnesium, and 4.9 mg of phosphorus and 53.8 mg of potassium.

Egg Yolks

It is true, egg yolks carry the cholesterol, the fat and saturated fat of the egg. However, what is often overlooked are the many nutrients that come with that, such as the fat-soluble vitamins, essential fatty acids and other nutrients. One egg yolk has around 55 calories, 4.5 grams of total fat and 1.6 grams of saturated fat, 210 mg of cholesterol, 8 mg of sodium, and 2.7 grams of protein.

The table below by the USDA compares the nutrients of the egg white versus the egg yolk, along with a comparison of the percentage of total nutrition found in the yolk and white.

Nutrients: Egg Yolks Versus Egg Whites

Vitamin A 0 IU 245 IU 0% 100%
Vitamin E 0 mg 0.684 mg 0% 100%
Vitamin D 0 IU 18.3 IU 0% 100%
Vitamin K 0 IU 0.119 IU 0% 100%
DHA and AA 0 94 mg 0% 100%
Carotenoids 0 mcg 21 mcg 0% 100%

As you can see, the egg yolk has more actual nutrients, but in my opinion the entire egg gives the most complete nutrition.

It is interesting that over the years there have been different recommendations regarding the best part of the egg. New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person’s lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it.

Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol. However, if you suffer from coronary artery disease or have any heart health issues like high cholesterol, the recommendation is still to limit your dietary intake of cholesterol. Usually high-fat and high-saturated fat foods will also be higher in cholesterol.

Are you leery of eating egg yolks? What ways have you found to use egg whites?

If you like this blog, check out these other egg-related posts:

Photo Credit: Ella Novak

About Grace Derocha

Grace Derocha is a registered dietitian, certified diabetes educator, and certified health coach. She loves helping others learn how to live a healthier and happier lifestyle. Grace was born and raised in Michigan. She is a wife, mommy, Spartan, and avid Detroit sports fan. She loves food, music, dancing, shopping, reading, and smiling.

Tagged WITH , ,

48 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Pingback: 6 Great Health Benefits of Eggs (and 7 ‘Egg-ceptional’ Recipes) — A Healthier Michigan

2. web hosting companies 4 years ago

If you eat daily one egg means you get it more calories in your health.

• Grace Derocha RD CDE 4 years ago

There are definitely health benefits by incorporating some eggs into your diet. Like with anything you want to practice moderation.

• Matt 2 years ago

I hate when people say, “anything in moderation.” No, not anything in moderation, there are a lot of things that shouldn’t be taken in at all….

• Keisha 6 months ago

I must disagree….

• Mario 1 month ago

Anything that is defined as edible and digestible by the human body, with the exception of illegal drugs and alcohol of course. But then again there are many chemicals that are manufactured into our foods that are now being found to be unhealthy such as Aspertame and GMOs.

• Sonic 1 month ago

There are reported health benefits from moderate consumption of alcohol (reversatrol in red wine for instance and I believe some studies have been done in relation to beer).

3. Kris Johnson 4 years ago

Grace,
    Thank you for documenting the benefits of eating the whole egg. I cringe when I hear people say they throw away the egg yolk! But as a retired dietitian who has changed her tune about fats, I take exception to your cautions about saturated fat. Those who have looked carefully at the research have found no evidence that natural saturated fats or cholesterol actually cause heart disease or any other health problem. I have several links on my website about the benefits of saturated fats here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~krisjohnson/Kris/Carbs&Fats.htm#SatFat.
    Excessive amounts of polyunsaturated fats and the trans fats derived from them are the real problem. The best way to improve important cardiac risk factors, that is increase HDL and lower triglycerides, is to limit carbs and most vegetable oils, while getting adequate natural saturated fats in the diet. This is nicely documented in the book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, by Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, and Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD

• Grace Derocha RD CDE 4 years ago

Hi Kris,

Thank you so much for your comment. I actually have been reading about this new research lately about saturated fat. I think that you bring up a very good point. I will definitely check out your website and look into that book. Thank you for sharing with us.

• cheryle 7 months ago

One thing that helps me with losing weight is ditching the yolk; using 3 egg whites with spinach and mushrooms for breakfast. fills me up, and I’m losing the weight,

• mary Torbert 4 months ago

I have extreme high blood pressure….enlarged heart…so HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL what I eat. I stopped eating eggs…ONLY EGG WHITES…WITH ONIONS AND MUSHROOMS…LOL…NO SALT! Now Doctors put me on “50,000 unit of vitamin D2….

4. Kris Johnson 4 years ago

There is much to learn, Grace. And we’re kind of swimming upstream. You might like to join the Facebook group Healthy Nation Coalition, which is populated by a lot of RD’s who are learning the truth about fat and cholesterol and carbs.

• Grace Derocha RD CDE 4 years ago

I agree, Kris. And the tricky part is it is ever evolving with more to learn. I just tried to join the Healthy Nation Coalition group via Facebook, but it is not letting me for some reason. I will keep trying. Thank you for the recommendation. :o)

5. rapid weight loss 4 years ago

This story is extremely nice and instructive. Men and women can study a good deal from it

6. Catalin Manea 2 years ago

Great stuff Grace! I’m glad to see that that are more specialists trying to educate people to accept healthy fats as part of their diets. I’m trying to do the same through my blog. It’s been a few good decades since natural foods have been demonized while consumption of high sugar high carb processed foods have been encouraged by the media and medical community. Now I’m gonna go make myself a 6 eggs omelette( :

7. Yolanda garza 2 years ago

I would like to know more of your egg white recipes, I only eat egg whites, I like to know about your diabetic diets

8. Pingback: New game-- Is it wrong that I really hate....? - Page 13 - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

9. Dorothy Morgan 2 years ago

Interesting article. I didn’t know the egg yolk had so much nutritional value in fact more nutrients than the egg white.

10. msbob 2 years ago

Great article!

The true irony is how many people avoid the egg yolk, then overeat giant dishes of pasta or pizza and drink an oversized pepsi.

11. vidushi mukhi 2 years ago

Hello grace…
    dat ws such a benficial informatn..
    Is it fyn if v take 2 white portions at a tym instead of eatn a whole egg??

12. Rebecca Loucks 2 years ago

I’m interested in knowing if the protein in egg whites is readily digestible. Some years ago I read a source that reported that it is not.

13. Maril Delly 1 year ago

I love the whole egg taste. I sometimes feel guilty because of reports about the yolk and throw it out. Is there something healthy to use it for? I eat about 2 whole egg omelets daily, 3-4 days a week. I add kale, spinach, onion, tomatoes, green peppers, the veggies vary, but you get the idea. I am starting to add chia seeds. This is such a great start to my day.

14. sekhar 1 year ago

Good one

15. Peggy Gouin Delisi 11 months ago

There is a recipe for gluten free pancakes on Pinterest. The recipe calls for: 1 mashed banana and 2 eggs mixed in with the mashed banaana. Another variation of this recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. of baking powder. Also both recipes add blueberries for extra antioxidants (if you have some).

I decided since my family history has serious cholesterol issues, I would try a different version of this recipe. I took 1 medium banana and mashed it. I added 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the mashed banana. I then stirred in the whites only, of 3 ex-large eggs. I mixed all this together really well using a hand whip (NOT electric). I then poured pancake size portions into a hot, non stick fry pan sprayed with cooking spray and cooked just like any regular pancake. I topped my pancakes with sugar free syrup. The syrup I use is sweetened with Sucralose, not Aspartame (which I will not use). These are EXCELLENT!!

Unfortunately, for every article I have read about cholesterol and saturated fat, there is only one thing I have found that is consistent and that is that it continues to be controversial. So, in light of that, I try to avoid as many foods as possible that contain more than a few grams of cholesterol and try to stick mostly with foods that supposedly have the good fats.

16. charles tawiah 11 months ago

am realy satisfied whith this diagrame!

17. Suzanne Cerny 11 months ago

I am following a liver cleanse with Dr Linda Page of Healthy Healing. I am doing this because I have a chronic sneezing and runny nose syndrome, and the first three days of the liver cleanse with the Liver Renew tablets by Dr Linda Page cleared that up. But I am back to adding an egg every morning to my diet. In addition I have had some lamb and some salmon because I get really hungry since I am very active. That is why I looked up the fat content of my morning egg, which I have even on days that I have only brown rice and vegetables. My runny nose returned and the sneezing too.

• Geneva Coats 5 months ago

You are probably allergic to the egg proteins.

18. Pingback: The Nutritional Value of Egg Whites Versus Egg Yolks: What Do You Use? | The Next Minute…

19. Okey Papachi 10 months ago

I will continue to eat the entire egg.

20. Tracy 8 months ago

I eat eggs every day. I know the yolk has the goods so I love a sunny side up egg or three. Lately I listened to a show on iTunes that suggested separating the egg and cooking only the white in coconut oil or grass fed butter and then adding the contents of the hot pan, fat and all, to the raw yolks. Stir the plate around to break open the yolks and warm them and it’s like the best sunny side up egg ever. Or three. Super yummy. And very silky. I know all about the cholesterol hoopla.

21. Cavid 8 months ago

well, the nutritional values of each part shows us that both are pretty rich with amount of protein, minerals and vitamins,so my question is why bodybuilders use only the white side of an egg claiming its the most valuable with protein?? Wouldn’t it be much reasonable to use both part together ?

22. Cassie 8 months ago

From one RD to you Grace, well said! Thank you for sharing. This is what I’ve been telling my patients all along :)

23. Janet Salmond 7 months ago

Looking to up my knowledge on nutritional things

24. John 6 months ago

GOOD POST. THANKS. JOHN.

25. Mario 6 months ago

That’s awesome, egg is really a great meal.

26. Richard Witham 5 months ago

Thank you for this article. The info resonates with most of what I’ve found in real life.
    I have one question. How does boiling the egg modify the nutrition value listed above, if at all?

27. Kiana 5 months ago

I’ve recently started making omelettes every day for breakfast and also take out the yolk, as in my Biology class I have learned that our bodies create all the cholesterol we need and that ingestion of excess cholesterol overloads the blood and causes damage to the arteries. If our bodies already make all the cholesterol we need, then I don’t see why we need to intake more even if the egg yolk does have some nutritional value.

28. Salvador Gonzalez 5 months ago

So, the protein in egg whites can cause an allergic reaction? I have been having running nose and sneezing in the mornings, oftentimes after breakfast. And, I have been having egg whites for breakfast. So, wouldn’t protein in other foods also cause the same reaction?

29. Laya 4 months ago

Finally some common sense. I have been eating one egg a day 40 years of adult life.
    I am 118 pounds, perfect cholesterol and lipid counts and healthy. No aches and pains. Eggs
    in moderation and not saturated with butter and mayonnaise are a complete food. What I DON’T eat
    is donuts, candy, potato chips, unhealthy frozen yogurt loaded with chemicals, hot dogs and french fries.
    No need to worry about staying away from healthy foods – just stay away from Junk Food.
    Once in a while, of course, we splurge (it’s fun to have a big dish of ice cream sometimes, but
    not a regular diet).
    Everyone I know with an eating disorder, only eat the white of an egg. Healthy people eat the whole
    egg.
    Have an egg every morning – NOT a donut.

30. Rajat Mittal 4 months ago

Great information .

31. Prof Abdur Rauf 4 months ago

Whenever I eat egg I got stomoch pain which persists for hrs

32. Richard Riversky 3 months ago

Hi Grace,
    Interesting information about the egg contents.

Even dieting is not my major subject in writing. As a retired Biotech business owner, I am writing mostly about Marketing and travelling.

I have written a post recently just about my weight reduction with an egg – grapefruit diet. It is the first one that worked for me.

I see it a quick correction measure now when I get out of my range of 87 kgs back to 85.

Important for me was that I had a rewarding plan eating every Sunday totally normal. With carbs and even cakes.

Normally this adds 1 to 1,5 kgs on Monday but Tuesday I am back.

Please keep me posted on your findings.

Greetings from Germany ( normally I am residing in Guatemala)

Richard

33. ruoaa 3 months ago

Most kids prefer Egg Whites and refuse to eat Egg Yolks

• Karmel 1 week ago

Really? As a child I hated the white, tho I now loooove eggs, & my 3 yr old makes me PEEL away the white from pouched egg so she only eats the yolk lol

34. Karmel 1 week ago

Brilliant info here, thank you! But, can I ask is the % the daily recommended intake? Thanks

35. Thomas parker 6 days ago

Extremely informational. Exactly what I was looking for and no need to search any more. Thank you.