City’s New Beacon Park Shines in Downtown Detroit
| 3 min read
Work days don’t stop Detroiters from celebrating community development. The city recently celebrated the grand opening of Beacon Park in downtown Detroit. Newly located on Grand River Avenue, the ribbon cutting ceremony welcomed hundreds of people for food, fun and the enjoyment of city innovation.
The DTE Energy Foundation broke ground for Beacon Park last summer and since has worked effortlessly to create an innovative park complete with artificial turf, a performance stage, and, until the end of August, adult-friendly illuminated see-saws.
The grand opening held approximately 50 of the 600 summer events that will continue through the end of the year, managed by the Downtown Detroit Partnership. In the spring of 2018, the park will be joined by a similar themed restaurant named Lumen (the name Latin for ‘light’) that will feature both a ground and rooftop patios.
DTE Energy Chairman and CEO Gerry Anderson has taken pride in this company passion project. The concept for the park was inspired by a trip that Anderson took to Boston when he visited Norman B. Leventhal Park. Amazed by the energy the park attracted in the community, he knew that there could be more done with the abandoned space that sat north of the DTE building.
The name “Beacon” is a fitted title, said Anderson. “From the beginning, we envisioned this public space would shine light on the western edge of downtown Detroit, becoming a beacon for development, a beacon to bring more visitors and businesses to Detroit, and a beacon of continued progress for a city in the midst of revitalization.”
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, who also spoke at the opening ceremony, is excited for the future visitor traffic that will add to the Grand River corridor. Stationed between all of the entertainment districts in the city, the Downtown Detroit Partnership is estimated the park will host one million visitors before the year is over.
Don’t Miss These Attractions
Looking for some family fun, music and fitness to light up your summer? Check out these ongoing summer events at Beacon Park:
- Illuminated See-Saws: Through August 27, 10 a.m.- 12 p.m.
- Rotating food trucks every weekday: July 24- August 31, 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.
- Market Thursdays: Every Thursday, July 27- August 31, 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.
- Mid-Day Music: Every weekday, Noon- 2 p.m.
- League games with Come Play Detroit: 6 p.m.- 9:30 p.m. Mondays: Whiffleball. Tuesday and Thursdays: Volleyball. Wednesdays: Futsal.
- Detroit Sports Postgame Parties: Thursdays August 10, 24, and September 14, from 1-7 p.m.
- Outdoor Spin every Saturday: July 29- September 30, 9- 11 a.m.
- Yoga every Sunday: July 29- September 30, 9- 11 a.m.
- Indie Night Market: Every Saturday starting July 29- 30, 7 p.m.- Midnight, including an Indie concert series, craft beer, food trucks.
- Family Fun Days: Every Sunday, Noon– 4 p.m. including stage shows, inflatables, crafts and games for the entire family.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
Photo credit: Heather Cook, A Healthier Michigan