Going at It on the GridIron: The Best College Football Rivalries in Michigan
| 3 min read
The weather is cooling down, the leaves are changing color, and college football season is upon us! And that means one thing: Classic rivalry games are going to play out all around the state. While the University of Michigan/Michigan State game might get most of the buzz, it’s not the only one worth paying attention to. Here’s everything you need to know about all of the hottest and storied college football rivalries across Michigan:
- Grand Valley State University vs. Saginaw Valley State University: Saturday, September 30 at Lubbers Stadium in Allendale
Known as the Battle of the Valleys, this will be the 15th consecutive year where students from both universities see who can raise the most money for charity leading up to the game.
- Michigan Tech University vs. Northern Michigan University: Saturday, September 30 at Sherman Field in Houghton
The Huskies and the Wildcats will go head-to-head for the Miner’s Cup Trophy in a rivalry that’s been around since the 1920s.
- University of Michigan vs. Michigan State University: Saturday, October 7 at The Big House in Ann Arbor
Since 1953, the Paul Bunyan Trophy has been awarded to the winner of the Michigan vs. Michigan State game. The Wolverines are currently leading the series 69-35-5.
- Wayne State University vs. Grand Valley State University: Saturday, October 7 at Tom Adams Field in Detroit
In this east versus west match-up, these two teams will battle for the annual Wooden Shoes Trophy, which Grand Valley has won 27 years in a row. The trophy remains in GVSU’s athletic facilities, but could it be making its way back to Detroit this year?
- Ferris State University vs. Grand Valley State University: Saturday, October 21 at Top Taggart Field in Big Rapids
The GVSU Lakers have a few rivalry match-ups throughout their season, but this clash is for the Anchor-Bone Trophy. Having won the past two years, the Lakers will play hard to keep the trophy at home.
- Hope College vs. Kalamazoo College: Saturday, October 28 at Angell Football Field in Kalamazoo
Last year, The Flying Dutchmen of Hope College reclaimed this Wooden Shoes Rivalry Trophy (different than the WSU vs. GVSU trophy) from K-College. This year they hope to keep the shoes in Holland, where wooden shoes are a matter of pride.
- Western Michigan University vs. Central Michigan University: Wednesday, November 1 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo
Fun Fact: Both of these teams fire off a cannon after scoring at a home game. Because of this, it seemed only right they fight over the Victory Cannon Trophy. Entering its 10th season, the Broncos lead the series 5-4.
Also, keep an eye out for the Michigan MAC Trophy rivalry between WMU, CMU and EMU. This is Michigan’s only rivalry involving more than two teams, and the trophy goes to the team which has the best head-to-head record in the season. All three teams have won the MAC trophy four times, with the Western Michigan Broncos in current possession. Keep an eye out for the WMU vs. EMU game on October 21 and the CMU vs. EMU game on November 8.
Now you know the best games to watch this college football season in Michigan, but how will you prepare? Check out these blogs to take your tailgate to the next level:
Photo credit: U.S. Department of Agriculture