Best Places to Ice Skate in Michigan
As Michiganders, we know winter weather all too well and, for some of us (this blogger excluded), it is our favorite time of the year. Winter means the start of snowball fights, skiing, snow biking and, yes, ice skating!
We have rounded up a list of the best places to ice skate around the state and if your favorite didn’t make the list, let us know why it should in the comments section.
- Campus Martius Park | Detroit: This rink is a Michigan favorite because the energy in downtown Detroit is magnetic right now. Grab a friend and head down this weekend to get your skate on and take a gander at Detroit’s 60-foot Christmas tree!
- Rosa Parks Circle Ice Rink | Grand Rapids: This outdoor rink is sure to please anyone with the urge to hit the ice this winter. Opening on Dec. 6, the rink has daily open skating until 10 p.m. and is open until 1 a.m. on New Year’s Eve.
- Yost Ice Arena | Ann Arbor: If you enjoy skating but prefer to skate indoors, Yost Ice Arena may be where you can spend some of you time this winter. This arena offers theme skating nights and open skating throughout the year. As an added bonus, U of M students get a discount.
- Lakeview Arena | Marquette: Lakeview was recently remodeled and offers open skating hours for people who just want to have fun. Checkout Lakeview if you’re heading to the U.P. this winter.
- Riverview Park Ice Rink and Lakeview Park Ice Rink | Holland Michigan: Both of these natural ice rinks are very dependent on weather conditions and are currently closed but will open up as soon as the weather gets colder. Be sure to check their website before heading out there and bring your own skates because rentals are not available.
- Novi Ice Arena | Novi: With public skating and events like Skate with Santa, folks in Southeast Michigan can have a blast at this rink.
- Suburban Ice | East Lansing: Skate your heart out at this indoor facility this winter so you don’t have to freeze while you’re having fun.
- Arctic Edge| Canton: This arena offers theme nights like glow night. Who doesn’t want to glow while gliding on the ice? Explore a number of different theme nights over at Arctic Edge in Canton.
Did your favorite rink not make the list? Let us know in the comments below.
Photo credit: Laura LaRose