Summer in the Sun: Planning a day at the Detroit Zoo
Summer is coming to an end, so now is the time to savor the sunny skies and enjoy a jam-packed day out with family and friends at the Detroit Zoo.
Concerts, races, attractions and wildlife make a trip to the zoo a great fit for all – and if you are a Healthy Blue Xtras member, you can receive discounts on your passes!
Singing with the Animals
Mark your calendars for the Zoo’s “Wild Summer Nights concert series,” held Wednesday evenings until Labor Day at the Main Picnic Grove. Bring your baskets, blankets and lawn chairs to relax and enjoy all of the performances. Upcoming shows include:
- August 22nd – The Sun Messengers (Motown and R&B)
- August 29th – Playdate and Friends (Children’s music)
Lace Up Your Running Shoes!
The Detroit Zoological Society will host the annual “Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo” race on Sunday September 16, 2012. Participants can run in a 5k or 10k race or enjoy the Fun Walk to help support the Ruth Roby Glancy Animal Health Complex, as well as veterinary care for the Detroit Zoo’s animals. Runners will stride through the scenic route of Huntington Woods, which surrounds the Zoo, and then later kick back at the Post-Race Party with food, entertainment and other fun activities.
Early registration ends August 31, so you have plenty of time to sign up and join in on the wild time!
Kids of all ages (and adults too!) can enjoy the many exciting exhibits at the Detroit Zoo. When you make your next visit, you should plan extra time to stroll over to these memorable attractions:
- Detroit Zoo Carousel – A 36-foot custom-made carousel offers you the chance to spin on a sea lion or twirl on a T. rex!
- Science on a Sphere – This global display projects simulations of the Earth, its atmosphere, oceans and land
- Wild Adventure 3D/4D Theater – The first and only theater of its kind at any Michigan zoo!
- Wild Adventure Ride – Experience the country’s first zoo-based virtual reality voyage
- Tauber Family Railroad – Serving nearly half a million passengers each year, this Detroit Zoo favorite is a must-do
- Giraffe Encounter – Feed giraffes at eye level with an elevated viewing platform overlooking the giraffe habitat
The Detroit Zoo is open 362 days out of the year, and has many other activities and events that happen daily, so pick up your discounted ticket and plan for some fun in the sun!