Let the Show Begin! Hit Play on a Healthy Movie Night
Welcome to awards season, when movie buffs everywhere settle into their favorite seats and catch up on all the nominated movies they missed in theaters. Even if you don’t get caught up in the buzz around awards this time of year, the cold weather makes staying in and watching a movie feel like the perfect Saturday night.
And no movie night is complete without a whole bunch of goodies to nosh on during the show. Unfortunately, those buttery, salty, and sugary snacks aren’t always the healthiest. Shake things up during the next blockbuster by giving one of these healthier movie night snacks a try:
Instead of butter-drenched popcorn, try…
- Stove Top Popcorn: What’s show time without a good bowl of popcorn? This healthy recipe calls for just two ingredients and a few minutes of your time.
- Roasted Chickpeas: This high-fiber, high-protein snack is delicious tossed with sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and cayenne pepper.
Instead of fattening dips, try…
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip: This slow cooker movie night snack is low on effort but takes a bit of time to come together in the slow cooker, so plan ahead. Not only is this a guilt-free recipe, but it also has nutrients like calcium, zinc and B2.
- Goat Cheese Guacamole Dip: Want to try something new? Give this unique guacamole spin a try. And instead of enjoying your dip with fried tortilla chips, opt for celery or baked pita chips.
Instead of greasy nachos and tacos, try…
- Slow Cooker Taco Meat & Bell Pepper Nachos: This healthy nacho recipe has fewer calories and a lot more nutrients than your typical plate of cheese-covered chips.
- Crunchy Taco Cups: This treat, inspired by the traditional Mexican dish, takes just 30 minutes to make!
Instead of unhealthy candy, try…
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse: If you can’t watch a movie without satisfying your sweet tooth, try this avocado chocolate mousse recipe. Just be sure to get started one hour before showtime so it’s ready for you to enjoy.
- Tropical Island Yogurt Parfait: Have little ones sharing movie night with you? This tropical island yogurt parfait is a sweet treat perfect for a fun night in with the kids.
- Black Bean Peppermint Fudge Brownies: Chocolate lovers, rejoice! This fudgy brownie recipe takes it up a notch.
Instead of sugary pop, try…
- Cucumber Lavender Mint Soda: An ice cold cola goes hand-in-hand with a good movie. This mint soda is a healthier alternative to its sugary counterpart.
- “Mocktails”: Want to enjoy the taste of your favorite cocktail without the alcohol? Try whipping up a zero-proof bloody mary, cranberry and pear spritzer or ginger spritzer. Added bonus? They’re family-friendly, too.
Photo Credit: Pixabay