Looking for a refreshing, healthy, quick lunch idea? Why not an avocado tomato salad!
Lunch is likely one of the hardest meals for me to plan. If it’s a work day, I struggle to pack a lunch that is healthy, filling, and won’t get soggy. Some days, I might end up choosing the easier cafeteria option. If I am at home or school, I still look for something easy to grab and go in the middle of running errands, and might end up skipping lunch all together.
But I have recently taken a liking to avocados and have found that paired with a couple other ingredients, they help form the perfect meal. Avocados are often misconceived as having too much fat, but they are actually rich in monounsaturated fat, which is a good, heart-healthy kind of fat! Since they are so easy to peel and chop, I have discovered avocados as a great summer go-to vegetable that makes planning lunches a lot simpler. One favorite recipe is an Avocado Tomato Salad!
1 handful of cherry tomatoes
7-8 pieces fresh mozzarella
½ of a ripened Hass avocado
Dash of salt and pepper
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup chopped fresh basil
Splash of balsamic vinegar
1-2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- Half the cherry tomatoes, cut the avocado into chunks, and half the mozzarella balls
- Tip: If saving the other half of the avocado, make sure to save it with the pit still inside. It will last a couple days longer in your refrigerator!
- Place all cut items into a bowl
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add desired garnishes (I added chopped cilantro and balsamic vinegar!)
- Once all ingredients are in your bowl, mix it up and it eat right then and there, or pack it up for lunch on-the-go! Have a piece of fruit on the side to complete your quick and wholesome lunch!
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||17.6 g|
|Saturated Fat||8.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.5 g|