Say hello to your new comfort food! Surprisingly, quinoa is an exceptional ingredient to add to mac and cheese. A much healthier option than the traditional version, this recipe is most definitely Popeye approved.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 dashes nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces, white shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 bunches baby spinach
- ½ cups parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cups panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of butter and flour and heat over medium heat. Whisk continuously until paste forms. Whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium/high and bring to a boil whisking the whole time. Stir in nutmeg, salt and cheddar cheese. When cheese sauce is smooth, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked quinoa, cheese sauce and spinach.
- Transfer the mixture into a casserole dish. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake on 350 degrees until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Photo credit: Michael Litchfield