Heart Health 101: What Your Numbers say About Your Health

February is American Heart Month and understanding your numbers is crucial in order to keep instances of heart disease to a minimum.

Understanding Blood Pressure

Blood Pressure is the force of blood against the arteries when the heart beats (systolic) and when the heart is at rest (diastolic).

Blood pressure is commonly read as 120 over 80. Hypertension refers to a high blood pressure reading.

Normal Blood Pressure Range

  • Less than 120/80 mm/Hg

Types of High Blood Pressure

  • Prehypertension – 120-139/80-89
  • Stage 1 Hypertension - 140-159/90-99
  • Stage 2 Hypertension - 160 or higher/100 or higher
  • Stage 3 Hypertension* – higher than 180/higher than 110

* In cases of Stage 3 Hypertension, emergency care is needed.

Cholesterol for Beginners

Cholesterol is the waxy substance that sticks to our arteries. Our bodies produce about 75% of the cholesterol we need, the other 25% comes from the foods we eat. Our bodies do need some cholesterol, but too much serves as increased risk for heart disease

  • Desirable cholesterol: 200 ml/dL or less
  • Borderline high risk: 200-239 ml/dL
  • High risk: 240 ml/dL and above

Good Cholesterol

High Density Lipids, or HDLs, bind with cholesterol and move it out of the blood and into the liver. The liver then processes and excretes the cholesterol out of the body.

Low HDL Means High Risk for Heart Disease

  • Less than 40 ml/dL for men
  • Less than 50 ml/dL for women

High HDL is Protective Against Heart Disease

  • 60 ml/dL or greater

LDL Levels

Low Density Lipids(bad): LDL: Transports cholesterol in the blood. The higher the LDL’s are, the higher precedence for heart disease.

  • Optimal: Less than 100 mg/dL
  • Near or Above Optimal: 100-129 mg/dL
  • Borderline High: 130-150 mg/dL
  • High: 160-189 mg/dL
  • Very High: 190 mg/dL and above

Triglyceride Levels

Triglycerides are the most common fat found in the body. High triglyceride levels are often a common factor in those who suffer from heart disease or diabetes. A high triglyceride level combined with a low HDL level and a high LDL level increases the speed of atherosclerosis, often referred to as hardening of the arteries.

Those with atherosclerosis have an increased risk factor for both heart disease and stroke.

  • Normal: 150 ml/dL or less
  • Borderline high: 150-199 ml/dL
  • High: 200-499 ml/dL
  • Very High: 500 ml/dL or higher

Source: www.americanheart.org

Fasting Blood Glucose Levels

Glucose, or sugar, is the main energy supply for most cells in the body, including the brain. Carbohydrates in your diet are eventually converted to glucose in the blood as well.

  • Normal: 100 mg/dL or less
  • Pre-Diabetic: 100 mg/dL – 125 mg/dL
  • Diabetic: 126 mg/dL or higher

Source: www.nhlbi.nih.gov

Understanding Your Body Mass Index

BMI or Body Mass Index is the most common method to measure if a person has a healthy weight for their height. To calculate your BMI, match your height in inches to your weight on the Body Mass Index Chart, or see one of our recent posts on calculating your BMI.

BMI Categories:

  • Underweight: 18.5 or less
  • Normal weight: 18.5–24.9
  • Overweight: 25–29.9
  • Obesity: 30 or greater

Knowing all of your numbers will decrease your chances of heart disease and heart disease related issues. If your numbers are outside of the “normal” category, talk with your physician. Most times, there is a lot that can be done to bring your levels under control.

Help with Your Numbers

Please let me know in the comments if you’re having difficulty calculating or understanding what your numbers might mean. I’m here to help!

Photo credit: Robinn

Tagged WITH ,
 

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

 
  1. Pingback: A Perfect Pair: Heart Health and Physical Activity — A Healthier Michigan

  2. Pingback: How Beyonce Inspires Us To Move — A Healthier Michigan

 
 

Switch to our mobile site