Garlic, onion and jalapeño are pan-roasted for extra flavor in this salsa recipe. They’re then combined with canned fire-roasted tomatoes, cumin and fresh cilantro and lime.
- 1 15-ounce. cans diced tomato, preferably fire-roasted
- ½ red onion, halve
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 jalapeño, halved, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat with no oil. Add jalapeño halves, garlic cloves and intact ½ red onion, flipping each when they are lightly charred. Remove any ingredients from the heat that have color on all sides first. Garlic tends to finish before the other components.
- Once the jalapeño, garlic and onion have cooled, roughly chop them and add them to a blender or food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until ingredients are chopped and well combined.
- Serve with tacos or chips over protein.