The ricotta is whipped with thyme and orange zest to provide a silky contrast to the crisp apples and toasted sourdough. The toasted hazelnuts bring all the flavors together in an upscaled toast that can be enjoyed as breakfast or a festive appetizer.
- 1 Honeycrisp apple or other crispy variety, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 slices whole wheat or sourdough bread, toasted
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ orange, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- In a pan over medium heat, spray with oil and add hazelnuts. Shake around every 30 seconds or so and toast for 2-3 minutes. Watch so they do not burn.
- In a blender or food processor, add ricotta, Greek yogurt, orange juice, orange zest, thyme and honey. Blend until smooth.
- On toasted bread, add 2-3 tablespoons of whipped ricotta mixture. Add sliced apples on top, then finish with toasted hazelnuts. Enjoy!