Celebrate Black History Month in Michigan
Did you know that Detroit was one of the most important stops on the Underground Railroad because of its proximity to Canada? That’s just one of the many ways in which Michigan’s past is deeply connected to African American history. And with Black History Month underway, there are plenty of ways for you and your family to learn about the influential figures, rich culture and milestone events that helped shape our state and country’s history. Here are some of the must-see events happening throughout February:
- Black History Month at the Detroit Institute of Art: Through the month of February many activities are planned for all ages, including visual art and art-making, poetry and prose, an array of musical traditions, dance, films and more.
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History: A compelling permanent display takes visitors on a journey through African-American history and culture starting in Africa and crossing time and geography to present-day Detroit.
- Celebrate Black History at The Henry Ford Museum: The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn celebrates all aspects of black history and culture. Delve into African-American history through interactive presentations, music and food. From the northern migration, and the beginnings of jazz to the civil rights movement and today, explore familiar stories and discover stories new to you.
- African American History Day at the Detroit Historical Museum: Bring your family to the Detroit Historical Museum for African American History Day on Saturday, Feb. 29, from noon – 5 p.m. This year’s educational and fun activities will focus on “the legacy of toil and resistance in the Black community through the lens of the urban agriculture movement.”
- Grand Rapids African American Museum and Archives: Through February, GRAAMA will display “Voices of the Civil Rights Movement,” an interactive kiosk featuring stories and interviews with leaders of the struggle for equal rights.
If you found this post helpful, you might also enjoy:
- Michigan Man’s Mobile Museum Brings Black History to Life
- Explore African-American History Across Michigan
- New Museum Aims to Tell Stories of Grand Rapids’ African-American Community
Photo credit: mzajac