Butter Chicken Bites with Raita Yogurt Dip
Whether you’re looking to bring a quick and easy appetizer to your next party or just want a good source of protein, this recipe is perfect for you.
The combination of spices give the chicken its unique flavor and aids in digestion. The Greek yogurt is packed with protein, calcium and probiotics. Of course the fruits and veggies also add valuable vitamins to your diet, making this recipe a healthy alternative at your next party.
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan
• 2½- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2″ pieces
• 1 onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tsp. curry powder
• 2 tsp. garam masala (found in most grocery store’s spice section)
• 1 tsp. cumin
• ½ tsp. cayenne powder
• ½ tsp. ground ginger (or 1″inch knob fresh ginger, minced)
• 1 (14 oz.) can light coconut milk
• 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
• 3-4 drops liquid smoke (gives the chicken a smoky Tandori type flavor)
• ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
• Cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
• Lime (optional)
• One head cauliflower, cut into florets for “rice” (optional)
• Salt, to taste
Butter Chicken Bites
For Slow-cooker Version
1. Place chicken pieces and onion in a slow-cooker.
2. Sprinkle , garlic, curry, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper and ginger over chicken pieces.
3. Add coconut milk, tomato paste and liquid smoke. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
For Stovetop Version
1. In a large pan over medium heat, sautee onions until translucent (about 5 min.) add spices and cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Stir in coconut milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 min. Add chicken pieces and mix (cover) with sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until chicken is done (approx. 10 min).
• 2 1/4 cups whole milk plain yogurt
• 1 1/2 cups finely diced or grated cucumber (remove seeds first)
• 3 Tbsp. finely chopped chives or green onion
• 6 tsp. lemon or lime juice, more to taste
• 3 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 1/2 tsp. coriander
• 6–9 Tbsp. chopped mint
• 6–9 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
• 3/4 tsp. salt, more to taste
• 3/4 tsp. pepper
• Optional for spice, add hot peppers of choice or crushed red pepper flakes
Raita Yogurt Dip
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir.
2. Refrigerate until ready to serve with butter chicken. Enjoy!
Recipe Inspired by Epicurious