How to Stay Safe Using Ride-Hailing Apps
About 36% of American adults use ride-hailing services.
Ride-hailing app use has skyrocketed in recent years. It’s convenient, quick and can be better for the environment. Whether you need a quick lift to the airport or you’re going downtown to grab dinner with a friend, rideshares can get you there, which is why they’re very common.
While ride-hailing apps are safe the vast majority of the time, there is an element of risk involved with using the service. You can minimize the risk by taking basic precautions. Here are some tips to keep you safe the next time you use a ride-hailing service.
- Wait it out. Always wait inside a building. Don’t stand outside alone, especially at night. Don’t go outside until the app says your driver has arrived.
- What’s my name? Before you get in the car, ask the driver to say your name. This will ensure you’re getting in the right car.
- Read the rating. Most apps give drivers a rating. If you aren’t comfortable with your driver’s rating, cancel the ride and request a new driver.
- Share your location with a friend. The apps let you share your ride with a contact. You should always share your ride with someone so they can see where you are. You can also share an ETA so your friends or family know when to expect you.
- Snap a picture. If the option to share your ETA or ride location is unavailable, take a picture of the license plate before you get in the car and send it to a friend or family member.
- Sit in the backseat. When you can, sit in the back row of the vehicle. It will keep you and the driver more comfortable.
- Open your app. If you sense the car may be veering from the normal route, you can track your ride in the app.
- Form a pack. Travel in groups whenever possible. It will help ensure you’re not alone in the car.
- Scan the car. Make sure you grab all personal belongings before you leave the car. This will prevent the loss of any personal items and protect your own private information.
- Stay alert. Always be aware of your surroundings and environment before, during and after your ride.
Do you have any tips to keep you safe while using ride-hailing services? Share with us in the comments.
You may also like:
- Preventing Holiday Drunk Driving in Michigan
- Keeping Older Drivers Safe
- Behind the Wheel: Reducing Road Rage
Photo credit: RyanJLane