Slow Cooker Broccoli, Ginger and Turmeric Soup
Avoid eating out by prepping this yummy soup in the morning and leaving it to cook during the day.
This recipe combines the health benefits of broccoli, ginger and turmeric, making it an all-around super dish. Broccoli is a great source of folate, Vitamin K and C. It also aids in digestion and promotes bone and teeth health. Ginger helps with inflammation, nausea, soreness, blood sugar levels, infections and brain functions. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, boosts brain function and has powerful medicinal properties.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Slow Cooker Lemon Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Crockpot Honey Ginger Chicken with Broccoli
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups leeks, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, chopped
- 8 cups of broccoli florets (roughly 2 heads)
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- pinch of black pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 6 cups stock of choice, use vegetable for vegan soup
- Optional mix-in 1-2 cups cooked chicken
- Optional garnish – roasted chickpeas and dollop of plain Greek yogurt
Slow Cooker Broccoli, Ginger, Turmeric Soup
1. Heat a large pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 or so minutes, until leeks are cooked through.
2. Transfer the leeks to a 5-quart slow cooker with the ginger, broccoli, turmeric, salt, sesame oil and stock.
3. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, until broccoli is tender. Do not overcook because it may become bitter.
4. Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until creamy and smooth. If adding chicken or chickpeas mix in after blending. Include a dollop of plain Greek yogurt before serving. Enjoy!