Ring in the New Year with Family, Fun and Gratitude
The last night of the year is a time for celebration, reflection and getting excited for the coming year.
While many choose to ring in the New Year with a champagne toast and a rendition of Auld Lang Syne, there are many other ways to mark the occasion. So this year spend the night of December 31 focusing on health, happiness and your community. Here are a few ideas for how to end the old year and start the new one on the best foot possible:
- Run for it! One of the more popular ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day is to sign up for a race. This year in Michigan there’s the family-friendly Belle Isle New Year’s Eve Family Fun Run in Detroit, Run in the New Year 5K in Jackson and the Blue Cross Resolution Run in East Grand Rapids.
- Donate your time. Spending the last few hours of 2018 with your family helping others is a great way to remember what’s important this time of year. Not sure where to go? Check out this site for information on Michigan volunteer centers.
- Feel inner peace with midnight yoga. The benefits of yoga include the physical (better flexibility and posture) as well as mental (relaxes you and helps you focus). Why not wrap up the old year by doing something good for your mind and your body? Sign up for a class or follow along to a video on a site like DoYogaWithMe.
- Have some family-friendly fun! Let the kids stay up late, turn on the televised countdown and spend some quality time with those you love most. Two fun activities are New Year’s Eve BINGO! and finish-the-sentence.
- Express your gratitude. A great way to move into the new year is to reflect on the victories and lessons you learned throughout the past year. Not sure what to think about? Try working your way through the questions in this list.
However you decide to celebrate, here’s to a joyous 2019!
Check out these blogs for more on enjoying a happy, healthy New Year’s Eve:
- Give Back With Volunteer Opportunities All Over Michigan
- Get Grateful: Why Gratitude Journals Can Make You Happier
- Can’t Make It to the Gym? Try Workout Videos!
Photo credit: momnoi