Fitness Fun: 8 Boredom-Busting Workouts
Are you struggling with your workouts? It can be hard to stay motivated when your routine’s become redundant. Exercise doesn’t have to be an uphill battle. It can be a challenging yet fun experience.
Instead of throwing in the towel, switch things up. Try new styles or movements that will keep you physically and mentally engaged. Variety is your secret weapon.
Here are eight workouts guaranteed to keep boredom at bay.
- Boot Camp – Inspired by military training, boot camp focuses on functional exercises that build strength and endurance. You’ll quickly transition from one movement to another, forcing your body to adapt. It’s an effective way to scorch a lot of calories in a short amount of time.
- Dance – From Zumba to ballet, you can get a full body workout by simply moving to the music. Dancing elevates your heart rate, burns calories, and helps build muscle. You can take a formal class at a gym or work out from the comfort of your own home. With DVDs, apps, and streaming, the possibilities are endless.
- Boxing – Boxing of any kind—traditional, kickboxing, or Muay Thai—is a one-two punch of fitness and self-defense. Modeled after professional fighters, it’s a challenging cardio workout designed to increase stamina and improve hand-eye coordination. There are a variety of training methods that include the heavy bag, speed bag, shadow boxing, and sparring.
- Swimming – Did you know swimming burns more than 400 calories per hour? It’s also a great workout for individuals with chronic illnesses, poor bone density, or joint issues. Swimming is low-impact and low-maintenance. Just bring your body, no equipment needed.
- Hiking – Hiking pushes you beyond the confines of a gym and into nature. Embracing the great outdoors can help clear your head and strengthen your lower body. The beautiful backdrop and fresh air will do your mind and body some good.
- Ice Skating – Don’t let the elegant moves fool you, ice skating is an aerobic exercise that puts your legs through the wringer. You’ll increase strength and endurance while performing classy choreography. Head to your local ice rink and put your best foot forward.
- CrossFit – This workout isn’t for the timid. Like boot camp, it’s a high-intensity program that emphasizes functional fitness, while pushing your body to its limit. CrossFit borrows elements from gymnastics, weightlifting, and rowing to deliver a dynamic workout guaranteed to keep you on your toes.
- Treadmill – Yes, you can make the treadmill interesting. Turn a boring walk or jog into a heart-pumping HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) workout. Change the speed or incline for an extra challenge. For muscle-building, add squats or weights. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box.
Want more boredom-busting workout tips? Check out these blogs:
Photo credit: Vasyl Dolmatov