Healthy & Fun Ways to Support Breast Cancer Awareness in Michigan
October has become synonymous with breast cancer awareness, and all month long you can find events to support the cause happening all around the Mitten State.
Every year, thousands of Michiganders get out to walk, run, golf and more to raise money and awareness—you’ll even see entire buildings lit up to show encouragement for those fighting the disease and researching cures.
If you want to take part, there are lots of opportunities to get involved with a local event and fundraise for the cause. Here are just a few:
Walking: In partnership with the American Cancer Society, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walks are offered throughout the state of Michigan. This year, participating communities include:
• Ann Arbor
• Calhoun County
• Grand Rapids
• Mount Clemens
Running: The Bee Brave 5K will be held in Caledonia on Saturday, Oct. 13. Participants of all ages are welcome. One hundred percent of all registrations and donations will go directly to the Van Andel Institute for local breast cancer research. The Remembrance Run will be held in Traverse City on Saturday, Oct. 6, honoring those who have lost their battle with breast cancer.
Luncheon: The Michigan Breast Cancer Coalition is hosting a luncheon, Beyond October, in Bloomfield Hills on Friday, Oct. 5. The goal is to educate attendees about breast cancer and raise money to support research.
Real Men Wear Pink: Raise awareness by wearing pink in honor of those fighting or who have fought breast cancer in ACS’s Real Men Wear Pink events taking place all over Michigan.
You can also show support for breast cancer awareness in your community. Here are some ideas on how to get started:
• Breast Cancer Awareness License Plate: Proceeds from these Michigan license plate purchases fund state programs such as the Michigan Breast & Cervical Cancer Control Program.
• Pink parking spot: Host a raffle at your work or school to decorate a parking spot with pink chalk, paint, etc. The parking spot will raise awareness while the raffle will raise funds.
• Pink sports: Have your team wear pink socks or ribbons to raise awareness of breast cancer. Have the proceeds from the game go toward funding breast cancer research.
• Wear a pink ribbon during October: Every day during October, pin a pink ribbon on your shirt to honor those who are fighting breast cancer.
• Have a pink pumpkin carving contest: Paint pumpkins pink and invite your friends over for a pumpkin carving party. Best design wins!
How are you showing your support this October? Share with us in the comments.
Like this post? You might find these helpful:
- Tips for Breast Cancer Prevention
- Fighting Breast Cancer with Food
- The Three Things About Breast Cancer No One Talks About
Photo credit: slgkgc