Healthier Ham and Cheese Sliders
The ham and cheese sandwich is a classic lunchtime dish, but have you ever thought of turning it into a slider?
Try our take on the classic dish with an interesting twist. Rather than just the three standard ingredients, we’ve included a topping with chicken broth, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and more.
A unique ingredient also adds an unexpected and tangy bite to the dish. Cottage cheese contains several nutrients, including B vitamins and calcium. It also is high in casein protein, which helps promote muscle growth when used with resistance training. It can also be used to help with losing fat.
In addition, using ham adds an extra source of high-quality protein. Plus, ham can also help with muscle growth and maintenance.
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan
- 12 wheat rolls of choice
- ½ lb. of thinly sliced deli ham of choice, try lower sodium versions
- 12 slices of white cheddar cheese or gruyere (or favorite cheese of choice)
Cottage Cheese Mixture
- 2/3 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 Tbsp. poppyseeds
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce to taste
Healthy Ham and Cheese Sliders
1. Cut the rolls in half and put on a foil lined 9x13 baking sheet or baking dish.
2. Blend cottage cheese in a food processor. Stir all purpose seasoning in it. Spread cottage cheese mixture on both sides of the rolls.
3. Top with slices of ham and pieces of cheese. Cover with tops.
4. Whisk together the butter, broth, poppyseeds, onion, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
5. Pour mixture over the top of the filled sandwiches. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover sandwiches. Bake 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 10 minutes. Enjoy warm!