Make A Healthy Valentine’s Day Three-Course Meal at Home
Forget the hassle of finding a reservation this Valentine’s Day. Instead, make a delicious and healthy three-course meal at home with your loved ones.
These ideas are easy, delicious and will satisfy everyone’s appetite. The recipes below include fun, festive ways to serve an appetizer, entree and mocktail to your sweetheart or loved ones in the form of “hearts.”
Photo Credit: A Healthier Michigan
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bruschetta Hearts with Tomato, Basil and Goat Cheese
1. Cut the slices of bread using a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Arrange the bread hearts and toast them in a preheated 375-degree oven for 15 minutes, or until light brown and crispy.
2. Spread each toast heart with a thin layer of goat cheese.
3. Next, in a small mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, basil leaves, and salt and pepper. Distribute tomato mixture evenly over each toast heart, spreading it to emphasize the heart shape. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR chicken thighs OR a mixture
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. thin spaghetti noodles, preferably whole wheat
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 12 oz. tomato paste
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese for topping or fresh mozzarella
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
1. Lightly grease a slow cooker or use a slow cooker bag. Mix water and flour and then add to slow cooker.
2. Arrange chicken in the slow cooker in a single layer, then top with tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, capers, capers, garlic, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on low OR 3-4 hours on high.
3. Uncover slow cooker, add spaghetti noodles, spinach, and tomato paste, stir to combine. Cover and cook another 15-20 minutes. Stir again.
4. If desired, serve with cheese. Enjoy!
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped and 1 1/2 cups water
- OR 1 1/2 ginger kombucha
- 16 oz. sparkling water
- Pomegranate seeds and/or lemon (for garnish, optional)
Non-Alcoholic Ginger Spritzer
1. Bring water to a boil. Add the ginger to it and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Drain the ginger tea and chill the liquid in the refrigerator.
3. Mix ginger tea or ginger kombucha with sparkling water, then pour over ice and garnish with the lemon wedge and/or pomegranate seeds. Cheers!