Dijon Mustard Salmon with Warm Spinach, Quinoa and Lentil Salad
This October, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, take some time to educate yourself on what you can do to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer and what you can do to help others fighting the disease. According to the American Cancer Society, about one in eight U.S. women will develop breast cancer at some point in their life.
Eating a diet rich in a variety of fruits and vegetables every day, while limiting processed and high-fat foods is a good way to avoid an increased chance of developing cancer. It is recommended to skip red meat as part of an anti-cancer diet and replace that with fish high in omega-3 fatty acids.
This awesome salmon dish is a perfect meal to make if you are trying to reduce your risk of cancer or support a loved one fighting the disease. Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that help to reduce inflammation that may contribute to breast cancer.
Photo Credit: A Healthier Michigan
- 4 6-oz. salmon fillets, skin removed
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnishing
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
Dijon Mustard Dill Salmon
1. Set broiler on high. Place the salmon on a foil-lined broiler pan and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Broil until the salmon is the same color throughout and flakes easily, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness.
2. In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter until it melts. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the mustard, dill, pepper, and the remaining salt. Remove from heat. Cut the remaining butter into pieces, add to the sauce, and whisk until incorporated.
4. Place the salmon on individual plates, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with additional dill. Serve with the warm spinach quinoa and lentil salad below. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- Large handful of spinach
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Grape seed oil
- All purpose seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
Warm Spinach, Quinoa and Lentil Salad
1. Place quinoa and lentils in a saucepan along with water.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until all water has been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, warm up a little grape seed oil in a small pan on medium heat.
4. Add onion and garlic to pan.
5. Saute until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally.
6. Add red peppers to pan and cook until soft.
7. Add spinach to pan and just cook for a minute until slightly wilted.
8. Combine vegetables with the quinoa and lentil mixture.
9. Season lightly with some pepper and all purpose seasoning.
10. Serve with Dijon Mustard Dill Salmon listed above. Enjoy!
11. Optional: top with some Parmesan cheese