20 Michigan Hotspots With Great Senior Discounts
Wisdom isn’t the only thing that comes with age. With some deals starting as early as age 55, you’ll be eligible for some pretty great discounts on food, activities and more, all over Michigan. And the best part is that these discounts don’t just save you money, they also can help you be more social and active—habits that come with benefits like holding off memory loss, improving emotional health and maintaining strength and mobility. Here are just a few of the deals waiting for you:
Experience Some Culture
- Hitsville U.S.A.: Home to Detroit’s Motown Museum, this venue showcases the history and legacy of the illustrious Motown Records. Admission for adults 62 and older is $8, $2 less than regular adult pricing.
- The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History: This museum, located in Detroit’s Cultural Center, is $5 for adults 62 and older.
- The Henry Ford: This Dearborn spot is actually four different attractions, including the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation™, Greenfield Village and the Ford Rouge Factory Tour. Adults 62 and up enjoy discounted pricing ranging from $9 to $20 (prices vary by attraction).
- The Grand Rapids Public Museum: Learn about everything from automobiles to zoology at this unique museum. Adults 62 and older pay $9 (that goes down to $5 if you’re a Kent County resident).
- Lansing’s Michigan History Museum: Get an in-depth look at the history of the Mitten State. Admission is $4 for seniors 65 and up and free for everyone on Sundays.
- Muskegon’s USS Silversides Submarine Museum: Seniors can tour the USS Silversides, a World War 2 submarine, for a discounted price of $12.50.
- Star Line Ferry: Senior groups are able to enjoy discounted pricing for a ride aboard Mackinac Island’s Star Line Ferry. Pricing can be obtained by contacting their ticket sales offices.
Go Out to Eat
- Downtown Royal Oak: Participating restaurants offer a 20 percent discount for adults 55 and up during Senior Tuesdays. This offer is good before 6:00 p.m. and discount cards can be picked up at the Royal Oak City Hall offices.
- Texas de Brazil: This Detroit spot takes 10 percent off the price of a regular or light dinner for seniors 65 and older.
- Ludington’s Old Hamlin Restaurant: This classic restaurant gives people 55 and older a 10 percent discount on their “Plate Specials,” which includes homemade meatloaf and roasted turkey.
- Ann Arbor’s Michigan Theater: Seniors can check out a film in the Main Auditorium, the Screening Room or the Annex Cinema for just $8.
- Other movie theaters: Adults ages 60 and up can take advantage of discounts at theater chains including AMC, Celebration Cinemas and Cinemark.
- SilverSneakers: Available to all Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network Medicare Advantage individual members, this premiere fitness program provides seniors with unlimited gym access to more than 13,000 gyms nationwide and fitness classes at parks and recreation centers nearest them.
- Namaste Yoga: This studio, based in Royal Oak, offers a variety of classes including Vinyasa and Gentle Yoga. Seniors receive an extra 15 percent off of 12- and 24-class passes.
- Local gyms: Many municipalities, including Southfield, Northville and Grand Traverse County, offer fitness classes and other healthy activities at a discounted cost for adults 50 and up.
- Fishing and hunting licenses: Enjoy catching your dinner? Grab an annual all-species fishing license for $11 (if you like hunting too, a hunt/fish combo license is $43).
Save Every Day
- Go back to school: Schools like Mott Community College in Flint, Michigan Technological University in Houghton and Wayne State University in Detroit, offer students 60 and older discounted tuition rates.
- Shop-N-Save Food Center: On Wednesdays, customers of qualifying age can take advantage of a five percent senior discount.
- Jax Car Wash: If you’re 65 or older, you get a 10 percent discount on certain car washes.
- Amtrak: Passengers who are 62 and older can receive a 15 percent discount on their trip’s lowest rail fare.