Campfire Cooking: Blueberry Muffin in a Lemon
Cooking while camping doesn’t have to be difficult. This blueberry muffin in a lemon is easy to make for breakfast, or for a quick treat. It’s a great recipe for the kids to help prepare and leaves little mess.
The lemon peel will prevent the muffins from burning in the fire and will provide great flavor to the muffin. Blueberries are one of the most nutrient-dense foods and contain a large amount of antioxidants. This awesome fruit helps to fight cancer, supports digestion and can help aid in weight loss.
Photo Credit: Mike Miller, A Healthier Michigan
- 3 whole lemons, large
- 1 box blueberry muffin mix (about 7 oz.)
- Follow directions on muffin package which usually includes:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk or 3-4 ounces of yogurt
- Optional – Squeeze half lemon’s juice into batter as well, watch out for those seeds
- Optional, 1 tsp. of lemon zest
Blueberry Muffin in a Lemon
1. Cut lemons in half around the diameter – long side. Keep the lemon halves intact and carefully scoop out the lemon flesh and you can infuse water with it or add to tea or make lemonade. Keep the lemon peel halves intact.
2. Follow directions on muffin mix. Note: you can pre-make muffin mix at home and bring already made to campsite. Optional to add the lemon juice and zest into batter.
3. Fill one half of the lemon peel with batter. Put the empty half of lemon peel on top. Wrap the lemon with three layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining lemon peel halves and muffin batter.
4. Throw the aluminum foil covered lemons in a hot campfire!
5. Turn every minute or so, and cook for about 6-8 minutes. Muffins will “steam” inside the lemon peel and the lemon peel will insulate the muffin from the fire.
6. Carefully, pull one out of the fire, open up the foil and check to see if a muffin is done. If not: Throw it back into fire! If so: remove all the muffins from the fire.
7. Open and eat muffins out of the center of lemon with a spoon. Enjoy!