Spring Salad: Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan
- 3 lbs. assorted baby beets, trimmed and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups mixed baby lettuces, rinsed and dried
- 4 oz. fresh creamy goat cheese
- 3/4 cup whole shelled hazelnuts, toasted and slightly crushed
- Pomegranate seeds
Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Vinaigrette
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Put each beet on a individual sheets of aluminum foil on top of a large, heavy rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover beet tightly with foil and roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, cut into 1 inch pieces. Set aside until ready to make salad.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a baking pan toast hazelnuts in one layer in middle of oven 10-15 minutes, or until lightly colored and skins are blistered.
3. Wrap nuts in a kitchen towel and let steam 1 minute. Rub nuts in towel to remove loose skins (don't worry about skins that don't come off) and cool completely.
4. Crush in towel with rubber mallet, meat tenderizer, rolling pin or canned good.
1. While beets are roasting, make the vinaigrette.
2. Put orange juice and zest in heavy saucepan. Boil until reduced to syrup, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to bowl and whisk to balsamic vinegar, then olive oil and stir in shallots.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to dress salad.
1. Place about 3-4 oz. of creamy goat cheese spread on bottom of plate/bowl.
2. Dress mixed baby greens lightly and place on top of goat cheese.
3. Sprinkle beets, hazelnuts and pomegranates on top of dressed salad. Enjoy!
Inspired by: NY Times