A Healthier Irish Beef Stew and Soda Bread
- 1¼ lbs. lean beef stew meat, trim any fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups onions, chopped (about 3 onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (24 oz.) container of reduced sodium beef stock or broth (3 cups)
- 1 bottle beer, Guinness or other stout
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1.5 cups baking potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks (~2 potatoes)
- 1.5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks (~2 potatoes)
- 1.5 cups carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- 1.5 cups parsnips, peeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- A little water
Healthier Irish Beef Stew
1. Coat a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add beef cubes to pan and cook for 5 minutes, over medium-high heat. Turn to brown all sides. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef from pan.
2. Heat 2 tsp. of oil in same pan. Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and continue to cook until onions are soft, about 2 more minutes. Stir often.
3. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
4. Stir in beef stock and beer, scraping down the sides to loosen the browned bits.
5. Add back browned beef and stir in bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
6. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for an additional 40 minutes.
7. Stir in carrots and parsnips, cover and simmer for 30 more minutes.
8. In a small bowl, add cornstarch and a little water and using a whisk or fork, slowly mix to dissolve. Add dissolved cornstarch to stew and mix well. Cook uncovered over medium-high heat until stew is thickened, about 10 minutes.
9. Remove bay leaves before serving. Enjoy!
Inspired By Cooking Light
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup dried currants
Healthier Irish Soda Bread
1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda and salt; cut in butter using a fork.
2. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in currants.
3. Knead on a floured surface 8-10 times.
4. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Delicious when served with Irish Beef Stew. Enjoy!
Inspired by Eating Well