Hooper’s Rainbow Oatmeal Cupcakes with Whipped Frosting
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is proud to present Hooper’s Birthday Celebration at the Palace of Auburn Hills on March 19, 2017.
If you can’t make it to the game, you can still help Hooper celebrate his birthday by trying my recipe for healthier rainbow oatmeal cupcakes with whipped frosting.
Check out the flyer below for details on the #MIKidsCan Pistons VIP Experience contest.
Recipe below not pictured in feature image.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour (you can also food process oatmeal to make your oat flour – blend until it looks like flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 banana – very ripe
- 10 fresh dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup milk or milk substitute of choice
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup canned crushed pineapple, packed in pineapple juice, drained
- 1 cup of blueberries
Rainbow Oatmeal Cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with parchment paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
3. Add banana and pitted fresh dates to food processor, process until smooth. Add honey, milk, and vanilla, and process briefly to combine.
4. Add banana-date mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix until almost combined. Gently fold in zucchini, carrots, pineapple and blueberries.
5. Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners, and bake 18 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. While cupcakes bake, make frosting
6.Remove cupcakes from the oven, and place on cooling racks. Frost once cooled.
- 1 tub whipped cream topping (such as Cool Whip)
- 1 package vanilla pudding
- Milk- as needed
1. Combine whipped topping and pudding mix in a bowl.
2. Beat with a hand mixer or spoon until smooth.
3. Add milk as needed until you reach the consistency you desire.
4. Frost cupcakes once they have cooled properly.