5 Workout Apps Just for Women
Many women may not know where to start when it comes to working out, or feel out of place or intimidated at the gym. Even women who workout frequently may feel like they need to switch up their routine from time to time. No matter what your workout woe, there are an amazing amount of smartphone fitness apps available, many of which are specifically for women.
Using workout apps can give you a burst of confidence and a boost of knowledge through customized plans, nutrition options, fitness journals, and the ability to connect with other women as a community.
Whether you’re new to working out or just want to switch up your routine and try something new, here is a breakdown of just a few women-centric apps, what they offer and who they might be best for based on your goals.
- Nike Women Training Club: This app allows you to browse over 130 different workouts, create custom plans tailored to your goals, and features videos by Nike master trainers. It even offers personalized workout recommendations and the ability to search by workout or equipment needed. Workout times range from 15-45 minutes, with beginner, intermediate and advanced skill levels and intensity. It is available for iPhone and Android.
- Sweat with Kayla: Health and fitness trainer Kayla Itsines, famous for her Bikini Body Guides (or BBGs), has created an app based on her beloved guides. The Sweat with Kayla app allows users to access workouts, recipes, shopping lists and the ability to connect with other users in an online community. The workouts range from High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) cardio. The HIIT workouts are 28 minutes and offer weekly full body, leg, core, and arm training. The workouts are challenging regardless of whether you’re a beginner or advanced. The Sweat with Kayla app is available for iPhone and Android.
- Fitivity – This app provides over 10 different training program options for women, including weight loss, yoga and Pilates, women over 40 workouts, body weight exercises and more. All programs come with animated and video explanations, descriptions of the exercises and a progress tracker. The Fitivity Women app is available for iPhone and Android.
- Asana Rebel: This yoga-inspired fitness app helps women get in shape by infusing yoga with interval training. The app focuses on mind and body, increasing energy, eliminating unwanted body fat, and helping users relax with clear minds. Asana Rebel even offers coaching and additional workouts as a part of a subscription. It is available for iPhone and Android.
- Spitfire Athlete: This app is all about strength. Not just physically but also mentally. Spitfire Athlete has helped women lift more than their body weight, do their first pull-up, train for their first triathlon, compete in their first power lifting competition, train to overcome anorexia, and fight through cancer. The app was imagined and built by two female engineers and athletes from Stanford and MIT. It is available for iPhone.
Exercising is vital to health and wellness, with many benefits for women. Outside of weight control and being physically fit, exercise helps reduce heart disease, lowers blood pressure, reduces strain on the heart, increases heart rate and good HDL cholesterol. According to the CDC, it also helps improve mood, strengthens muscles and bones, and can increase your chances of living longer.
No matter what type of workout you’re into, or whether you like to workout at home or at the gym, your fitness goals are at your fingertips.
Photo Credit: Omar Jordan Fawahl