Recipes to Fuel Your Body for Exercise
Photo credit: Kjokkenutstyr.net (recipe below not pictured)
- Sweet potato, thinly sliced (if you have a mandolin, use it)
- ½ avocado, mashed
- ½ banana, mashed
- Juice of 1 lemon wedge
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt
- Optional toppings – shredded coconut, berries or honey
Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado and Banana Mash
1. Slice sweet potatoes into toast like pieces, about ¼ inch thick. If you have a mandolin, use it carefully. You can peel the sweet potato beforehand, if you would like.
2. Toast the sweet potato on high to cook thoroughly. May have to toast it twice.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients together. Mash thoroughly with a fork.
4. Spread the avocado and banana mixture onto sweet potato toast.
5. You may top with additional items, such as shredded coconut, berries or a drizzle of honey.
- 1 lb. gnocchi
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 oz. (about 3 links) cooked chicken sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick coins
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 to 2 ounces fresh basil, julienned (1/2 to 1 cup loosely packed)
Gnocchi Skillet with Chicken Sausage and Tomatoes
1. Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling; cook the gnocchi according to package directions. Don’t overcook. Drain liquid and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Heat a 10-inch or larger cast iron skillet over medium heat with a light drizzle of olive oil.
3. Add the sausage coins and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Push the sausage into a pile at the edge of the skillet and turn the heat up to high.
4. When the skillet is hot, add the tomatoes, skin down. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are blistered, then stir in with the sausage. Cook for 2 more minutes, until both tomatoes and sausage are slightly browned.
5. Stir in gnocchi and cook just until all is combined, but the tomatoes have not broken down into sauce.
6. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Enjoy!