4 Tips for a Healthy Beard and Skin This Winter

Whether you’re already a member of the club or brand new to the no-shave game, there are a few things to keep in mind to keep your skin healthy as winter approaches.

Step 1: Cleanse. The first secret to having a healthy beard and skin won’t come as a surprise. Clean skin and hair are crucial. But you can’t use just any product. Put down the shampoo bottle. Shampoos meant for your hair contain synthetic ingredients that can be too harsh if used on your face.

Look for beard cleansers that list natural ingredients. Whether it’s an all-purpose beard cleansing bar, shave soap or a liquid beard cleanser, the results will be easy to see. Our team at Detroit Grooming Company created Beard Poo to keep facial hair clean. It’s stocked with sea kelp, aloe vera, witch hazel and vitamins. But you can’t stop there.

Step 2: Balance. Choose your favorite beard oil or grooming oil and replenish the oils in your skin. Beware of dry oils because 80 percent of the product evaporates, leaving just 20 percent to be absorbed into the skin. When seeking the perfect grooming oil try those with bio-available nutrients. That means you’re looking for oils and nutrients your body needs anyway.

Keep an eye out for Vitamin E, Omega 3 fatty acids and other ingredients that form the building blocks of what your skin, hair and body need to be healthy. At Detroit Grooming Company we use sweet almond oil as part of our proprietary base blend for our signature grooming oils and add Vitamin E for extra nutrients. Never fear – using grooming oil won’t leave you looking oily or leave stains on your clothing.

Step 3: Protect. At this point your face is ready for some extra protection from the harsh weather. We know cold crisp air is around the corner. That’s the best time to add beard butter to to your morning mix of products.

It can be used alone, but when combined with a base of grooming oil, beard butter offers moisture and protects skin and hair from harsh weather and outside elements.

Step 4: Maintain. For those growing out new beards or anyone who already has facial hair to maintain, Step 4 is important. Keep your beard and facial hair thoroughly combed. Invest in a beard comb and you’ll always look your best.

Perhaps the best advice I can give is to get ready for some unusual responses once you begin growing or caring for facial hair. Friends and strangers alike may sniff your beard, reach out to grab your beard without permission, or find they are filled with questions about it.

Welcome those you encounter who are new to our world – especially if they are joining for a good cause this month. Remember – every beard had to start somewhere.

Headshot of Michael HaddadAbout the author: An expert in men’s grooming tips, Michael Haddad is CEO and co-founder of Michigan-based Detroit Grooming Co. Among the more than 200 high quality hair and skin care products now available online and in shops across the globe, Detroit Grooming Co. recently released a new Black Label Collection. For every item in the collection sold, 15 percent of sales are donated to NoShave.org.

Photo credit: neeel (feature image), Courtesy Image (thumbnail)

If you enjoyed reading this post, check out these blogs:

(Visited 442 times, 1 visits today)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.