Slow Cooker Taco Meat & Bell Pepper Nachos Recipe
Grace Derocha, registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator, shares her take on a bell pepper nachos made with slow cooker taco meat.
This is a great dish to enjoy a healthier taco meat, while still enjoying crunch from the bell peppers. Anytime you can add more veggies throughout the day is always a win.
- One serving of traditional beef nachos can be anywhere between 350 and 500 calories.
- This dish is only has about 200 calories per serving and a lot more nutrition.
Photo Credit: A Healthier Michigan
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
- Tailgating Recipes | Bleu Cheese Greek Yogurt Dip
- Lets “Taco”-bout it: Easy Swaps to Make Taco night Guilt Free
- 13 Creative Snacks Your Kids Will Love
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 pound of ground sirloin
- 1 can of black beans, do not have to drain
- 1.5 cups of diced fresh tomatoes or 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (7 oz) mild green chiles
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1.5 teaspoons of cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Bell peppers, color of choose, quartered with seeds removed
- Shredded cheese of choice
Slow Cooker Taco Meat for Bell Pepper Nachos
1. Place all ingredients except bell pepper and cheese in slow cooker or crockpot
2. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
3. Use bell pepper “nacho” boats to place prepared meat and shredded cheese.
4. If you would like you can also put the bell pepper nachos on a cookie sheet and broil on high until cheese melts.
5. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Nutritional Info for One Serving of Bell Pepper Nachos:
Makes 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving = 1 serving = 4 filled bell pepper nacho boats
Total Fat 6.1 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 67.5 mg
Sodium 396.0 mg
Potassium 173.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 25.8 g
Vitamin A 47.1 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 4.8 %
Vitamin C 197.4 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 0.2 %
Calcium 2.7 %
Copper 4.4 %
Folate 13.2 %
Iron 18.9 %
Magnesium 6.7 %
Manganese 10.1 %
Niacin 1.5 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.1 %
Phosphorus 5.7 %
Riboflavin 2.1 %
Selenium 1.1 %
Thiamin 6.3 %
Zinc 3.0 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.