Buy Nearby, Celebrate Shopping Local This Weekend
Who doesn’t love cute local boutiques where you are able to pick up the perfect unique gift or delicious dessert for your next party? Michigan is full of boutiques and entrepreneurial startups that offer a unique experience big franchises are unable to provide.
Buy Nearby takes place all year but is celebrated the first weekend in October, this year falling on October 1-2. The effort by the Michigan Retailers Association aims to generate excitement about the shopping opportunities in Michigan and how it can help local communities.
When Michigan shoppers shop locally, it creates more jobs for Michigan residents and contributes to the economic growth of the state.
Will you be in Lansing during the celebration? Here just a few of our favorite local boutiques and entrepreneurial startups to check out:
- Smith Floral & Greenhouses: Having been in business since 1903, the owners know a thing or two about helping you find the perfect flowers for any occasion. You can even find a variety of fresh produce. The shop is Located on E. Mount Hope Ave.
- For Crepe Sake: An American café steeped in French tradition, this Lansing shop serves a range of sweet and savory crepes. You can also order your crepes with regular, gluten-free, buckwheat and vegan batter.
- Glazed and Confused Bakery: Visit this urban bakery on S. Washington Square in Lansing for baked goods that are made fresh every day. Turtle, pumpkin, maple bacon and jalapeno chipotle are just a few of the fun flavors of donuts that can be found here.
- Linn and Owen Jewelers: This store has been part of downtown Lansing since 1917, making it the city’s oldest family owned and operated jeweler.
- Whipped Bakery: Stop in this bakery located downtown Lansing to see creativity that takes the cake.
- Belle Row Boutique: Located in East Lansing, the boutique is perfect for your next shopping trip. You’ll find handpicked tops, dresses, shoes and accessories. Need a girls’ night out? You can even host private shopping events here.
These are just a few of the local shops you can check out this and every weekend in Lansing.
Do you love shopping local? Let us know your favorite shops in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also be interested in:
- Shop Local for Holiday Gifts
- Shop Local at These Michigan Natural Food Stores
- Think Big and Shop Small with Small Business Saturday
Photo credit: DowntownLansing.org, courtesy image