Game On! Healthier Football-Watching Treats
Heading to a game to cheer on your favorite football team? If you’re like most people, you start the fun hours before heading into the stadium with a tailgate. But while a parking lot party or catching the game on the TV is always a good time, it’s also usually full of not-so-healthy food and drinks. The most popular snack choices tend to be things like chicken wings, chips and nachos.
Start your game day off right with these healthy twists on game day favorites—they’ll satisfy every member of your tailgating crew without sacrificing flavor and fun.
- 2 cans chickpeas (drain and rinse one of the cans)
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a food processor, combine the can of drained chickpeas and the can of undrained chickpeas.
2. Add the buffalo wing sauce, paprika, tahini and lemon juice and pulse to combine.
3. Turn on processor and pour in the olive oil while it’s still running. Puree until hummus is smooth.
4. Serve with carrots and celery sticks.
Per serving (makes 16 servings):
- ⅓ cup honey mustard
- ⅔ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ – 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of visible fat
- 12 metal or wooden skewers (if you use wooden skewers, soak them in water before grilling)
Spicy Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken Skewers
1. Mix together the honey mustard and sour cream.
2. Refrigerate and use as a dipping sauce.
3. Make the marinade by combining the yogurt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
4. Cut each chicken breast into four long strips and marinate for four hours in the refrigerator (you can marinate overnight if you’d like).
5. Once the chicken is done marinating, remove from marinade and drain in a colander.
6. Thread one piece of chicken on each skewer.
7. Heat up your grill and cook the chicken for 2½ minutes on each side or longer if necessary.
Per serving (makes 6 servings):
- 1 ounce vodka
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed
Lightened-Up Bloody Mary
Mix together everything but the celery stalk and pour into a large glass over ice. Garnish with celery stalk and enjoy!
Per serving (makes 1 serving):