Recipe: A Healthier Green Gazpacho
Avocado, jalapeno, spinach and cucumber? This mean green version of gazpacho brings together a wide variety of flavors that make a dish as tasty as the original thing.
If you’re hesitant to stray away from what you’re used to, consider this: spinach has been linked to lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure and improving bone health. Avocados are filled with heart-healthy fatty acids and have been shown to relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
For this recipe you can use a blender or chop by hand if you don’t have a food processor. If you want a completely smooth soup, go ahead and blend it all together until smooth.
Photo credit: Grace Derocha, A Healthier Michigan
If you liked this recipe, check out these articles below and be sure to subscribe to get Food updates from A Healthier Michigan right to your inbox.
- What We Can Learn About Diets from around the World
- Freezer Meals for Busy Parents
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 avocados
- 1 pint yellow grape tomatoes or 2-3 green tomatoes (may de-seed, based on preference)
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, core removed
- 2 stalks celery hearts
- 2 scallions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large handful of baby spinach (or more if you want)
- 1 bunch basil (a large handful or two)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ jalapeño, seeded (optional)
- Salt (about 1 tsp.) or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. In food processor* finely chop cucumber and tomatoes and put in large bowl. Next, process the fennel, scallions, jalapeño (if using) and garlic, and add to bowl. Then process the spinach and basil and add to bowl. Add vegetable stock and water and stir to combine all the ingredients.
2. Add about 2 cups of the mixture in the bowl back into the food processor with the avocado, lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. If you want a completely smooth green gazpacho then process in batches until smooth.
3. Return mixture to bowl and stir well to combine all ingredients. Taste for additional seasoning.
4. Chill for at least 2 hours prior to serving to allow flavors to marinate.