Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
It may look like your typical lasagna, but this healthy alternative is guaranteed to leave you and the family feeling full and guilt-free.
While the original dish is heavy with carbs, this recipe substitutes zucchini as a noodle, stuffed with a light, flavorful filling. It makes a great vegetarian dish but can also be prepared with ground turkey or chicken mixed in with the sauce.
Zucchini are in season from July through October, making it a great dish to finish out the summer or pull together for the family throughout the fall. This veggie is tasty and filled with protein, fiber, Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
Learn more about Michigan’s farmers markets and how to make this dish from Channel 13 WZZM’s host Val Lego below.
If you liked this recipe, check out these articles below and be sure to subscribe to get Food updates from A Healthier Michigan right to your inbox.
- Cherry, Watermelon, Grapefruit and Basil Frozen Pops
- Fresh From the Farmers Market: Eggplant Pizza Bites
- Fresh From the Farmers Market: Grilled Peach Caprese with Balsamic-Honey Reduction
- 1 cup (8oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (4oz) low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Parmesano Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 package lean ground turkey
- 14 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Italian blend spices
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large zucchini cut lengthwise into 8 (1/4 inch thick) slices
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
For the ricotta filling:
1. Blend all of the ingredients, except for the spinach, in a food processor or blender until smooth.
2. Fold in the chopped spinach and set aside.
For the zucchini:
1. Heat a grill or flat skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
2. Lightly brush each zucchini slice with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Place the zucchini on the grill or skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until it is soft. Remove and set aside.
For the marinara sauce:
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground turkey and cook until browned. Drain any excess grease and then add in the marinara sauce, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
2. Simmer on low heat until ready to use.
For the lasagna rolls:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a 10.5 x 7" baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Spread a 1/4 of the marinara sauce evenly over the bottom of the dish.
4. Blot any excess liquid off of the zucchini with paper towels. Then spoon one tablespoon of the ricotta filling onto the zucchini slice and spread it into an even layer. Repeat for each slice.
5. Roll up the zucchini and place them seam side down in the baking dish.
6. Top the zucchini rolls with the remaining marinara sauce, then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
8. Serve and enjoy!