Celebrate Men’s Health Month by Taking Better Care of your Health
Men’s Health Month, which happens in June every year, is the perfect time to focus on the importance of preventive care. Did you know that compared to similarly aged women, men are less likely to have a regular doctor and more likely to skip check-ups and appointments? It’s important to understand how crucial it is to regularly see health professionals and get screened for serious illnesses. Here are a few ways to stay on top of your health, during Men’s Health Month and beyond:
- Schedule a check-up with your doctor. If you haven’t seen a doctor in the past 12 months, make an appointment today. Need to find a doctor in your area? Check out Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan’s Find a Doctor tool.
- Get screened for prostate cancer. There are about 180,000 new cases of prostate cancer diagnosed every year in the United States. That’s why it’s especially important to be regularly screened by your physician starting at age 50. During your next annual check-up, bring up that you’d like to get screened. This screening comes in two forms: either a rectal exam or a Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) test.
- Eat right. Incorporating a variety of fruits and vegetables into your day and limiting food and drinks that are high in calories, sugar, salt and fat is important to maintain your health. If you’re struggling with what to choose as a healthy meal, check out the American Heart Association’s diet and lifestyle tips.
- Get good sleep. Sleeping less than the recommended seven to nine hours per night is associated with a number of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and depression. Here are 4 ways to get a good night’s sleep. One tip everyone can do: Avoid electronics like your phone or laptop for at least one hour before bedtime.
- Sweat it out. As an adult, you need at least two and a half hours of activity every week – this can be anything from a good walk outside with your dog to a high intensity workout in the gym. If you need some inspiration or ideas, start by checking out our blog posts showing amazing core moves and exercises you can do during commercial breaks. For more fitness tips and other ways to stay on track with your goals, check out our community, #HealthyMe.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter to receive more health and wellness tips delivered right to your inbox.
Photo credit: www.Pixel.la Free Stock Photos