Campfire Cooking: Blueberry Muffin in an Orange
Creating meals while camping can sometimes be a hassle, but this blueberry muffin in an orange recipe makes breakfast a breeze. Not to mention, using the orange as a muffin tin reduces your camping dishes.
Blueberries are a great daily dose of antioxidants and are linked to better memory, reduced cholesterol and a positive blood sugar number. Oranges contain high amounts of Vitamin C. Even though you’re not consuming them in this recipe, eat the orange flesh for a healthy camping snack.
Check out Grace Derocha, RD, registered dietitian and health coach at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, and Fox 2, explain the health benefits of this recipe.
If you need step-by-step directions Grace Derocha, RD, registered dietitian and health coach at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, made the entire recipe below.
This recipe is courtesy of Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian, certified diabetes and certified health coach at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and a featured blogger here at A Healthier Michigan.
Photo Credit: Michael Miller, A Healthier Michigan
Makes 3 servings
- 3 whole oranges, large
- 1 box blueberry muffin mix (about 7 ounces)
- Follow directions on muffin package which usually includes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk or 3-4 ounces of yogurt
Blueberry Muffin in an Orange
1. Cut oranges in half around the equator. Keep the orange halves intact and carefully scoop out the orange flesh and enjoy as a healthy snack. Keep the orange peel halves intact.
2. Follow directions on muffin mix. Note: you can pre-make muffin mix at home and bring already made to campsite.
3. Fill one half of an orange peel with batter. Put the empty half of orange peel on top. Wrap the orange with three layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining orange peel halves and muffin batter.
4. Throw the aluminum foil covered oranges in a hot camp fire!
5. Turn every minute or so, and cook for about 6-8 minutes. Muffins will “steam” inside the orange peel and the orange peel will insulate the muffin from the fire.
6. Carefully, pull one out of the fire, open up the foil and check to see if a muffin is done. If not: Throw it back into fire! If so: remove all of the muffins from the fire.
7. Open and eat muffins out of the center of orange peel with a spoon.
• Calories 160.0
• Total Fat 5.0 g
• Saturated Fat 2.0 g
• Cholesterol 4.0 mg
• Sodium 320.0 mg
• Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
• Sugars 11.0 g
• Protein 2.0 g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.