Fresh From the Farmers Market: Grilled Peach Caprese with Balsamic-Honey Reduction
Michigan peaches are a summertime crowd favorite because of their sweet, juicy taste. You can find locally grown peaches from July to August at farmers markets so be sure to pick up a dozen of them the next time you’re there. One peach has 20 percent of your daily Vitamin A and 20 percent of your daily vitamin C, not to mention they are a lower calorie fruit. If you like sweet and salty, try switching up your normal snack for this fun, colorful treat. Most of the ingredients in this recipe can be found at the farmers market, such as peaches, basil and honey, which are regularly in stock during the summer months.
Learn more about Michigan’s farmers markets and how to make this dish from Channel 13 WZZM’s host Val Lego and Grace Derocha, RD, registered dietitian and health coach at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan below.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2-3 ripe peaches, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Sea salt to taste
Grilled Peach Caprese with Balsamic-Honey reduction
1. Heat stove to medium heat and heat grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and honey until combined.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, then decrease the heat to low and simmer.
4. Stir the mixture occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by about 50 percent (about one minute).
5. Remove mixture from heat and set aside.
6. Slice the peaches about 1/6 of an inch thick and place on grill for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly charred.
7. Stack the peach slices and mozzarella slices in an alternating order.
8. Lightly drizzle the stacks with the balsamic reduction.
9. Garnish with basil.
8. Sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy.
Nutrition information per serving:
Total Fat 9.3 g
Saturated Fat 6.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 37.5 mg
Sodium 38.0 mg
Potassium 204.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
Dietary Fiber2.0 g
Sugars 17.7 g
Protein 9.8 g
Vitamin A 20.9 %
Vitamin B-6 1.1 %
Vitamin C 14.3 %
Vitamin E 3.4 %
Calcium 23.3 %
Copper 3.7 %
Folate 1.0 %
Iron 4.1 %
Magnesium 2.0 %
Manganese 3.7 %
Niacin 5.0 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.8 %
Phosphorus 1.3 %
Riboflavin 2.7 %
Selenium 0.7 %
Thiamin 1.1 %
Zinc 1.2 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recipe inspired by the Curvy Carrot.