Can’t Make it to the Gym? Try Workout Videos!
Chances are you will be traveling to visit friends and family this month, making it tough to stick to your normal gym routine. And even if you aren’t on the road a lot, the season can add a lot of extras such as social obligations and shopping to our lists. That’s where workout videos can come in; they let you squeeze in some exercise even if you only have a little bit of time to spare (and without leaving your home!). The best part is that while you used to have to buy a DVD, many videos are now available online.
Whether you like low-impact workouts like Pilates and yoga or high intensity ones like bootcamp and kickboxing, you can find a workout video that suits you. But all of those options can be a bit overwhelming, so we’ve rounded up our favorite workout videos for you to try—including some that feature a few of Michigan’s top trainers.
- FLEXcity Fitness: This gym has locations in Lansing, Grand Rapids and Bloomfield Hills but for $9.99/month you gain access to online videos through their website. You can choose how long you have (from 8 to 28 minutes), what equipment you own (many only require a mat) and what part of the body you want to focus on.
- Living Karma Yoga: Reduce stress and improve flexibility by following along to the yoga videos out of this Bloomfield Township-based studio. They are available on Bloomfield Community Television (they now have video on demand so you can watch them whenever you want) but are also free online if you don’t live in the area.
- Tone It Up: Online workout routines from two personal trainers that can help you strengthen every part of your body. Most are free on YouTube and don’t require any special equipment.
- Sweaty Betty: Head straight to the Lifestyle tab and check out all of the free videos on this site. You will find a workout for whatever you are in the mood for—ballet, yoga, cardio, running and more.
- Fitness Blender: Run by a husband and wife, this site offers free online videos that are accessible everyone. You can tailor your search to how long you want to work out, how many calories you’d like to burn, the difficulty of the workout, equipment needed, training type and body focus.
If you’re looking to spice up your workout or for motivation, check out these blogs:
- Ten Songs to Pump Up Your Workout Playlist
- Physical Activity Tips for Fall
- Think You Need to Go to the Gym for Exercise? Why Not Go Online Instead?
This blog post is part of #HealthyMe, a personalized web experience based on your health and wellness goals. To sign up today, visit https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/healthyme.
Photo credit: Fort George G. Meade Public Affairs Office