“Let’s Talk Health” Event Coming to Southwest Detroit Oct. 3
There’s always something going on in Detroit and this weekend is no exception. This Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, Western International High School will double as a hub for all things healthy in the heart of southwest Detroit.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has teamed up with the Latino Community Roundtable to bring the first ever Let’s Talk Health: Latino Detroit Community Health Event.
Here are 10 reasons to consider attending:
- Se habla Español: From Spanish-speaking facilitators to bilingual health workshop sessions, there will be someone for you to talk to whether you feel more comfortable speaking Spanish or English. Language barriers can be challenging when it comes to discussing health concerns, so the event is a great opportunity for those who have health questions they want answered in Spanish.
- Health and wellness workshops: Sessions on healthy eating and preventative care are only two of the many you can attend to learn about living a healthier lifestyle. Guests can hear from experts like American Cancer Society’s Mitzi Cardona and health coaches like Stephanie Lopez-Gilmore who will discuss ways you can adopt healthy habits into your routine.
- 88.1 La Mejor: A southwest favorite, 88.1 FM radio station, better known to the neighborhood as “La Mejor” will host a live broadcast from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. This means there will be plenty of great music, too!
- Healthy relationships dialogue: Keeping a healthy relationship with the ones you love is a big part of your overall health. If you or someone you know could benefit from talking about what love can look like when we put safety first, this event might be the perfect place to start.
- Answers to your insurance questions: Do you have questions about the Affordable Care Act? Health care reform can be confusing and hard to keep up with. Representatives will be on hand to break it down as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Breakfast and lunch included: Everyone loves free food!
- Free mobile mammography: Early detection is key when it comes to breast cancer survival. There will be a mobile mammography center on-site to provide free mammograms for women. Pre-registration is required. To sign-up, email the coordinator here.
- HIV testing: Along with mobile mammography, on-site HIV testing will be offered.
- Kid-friendly fun: No need to find a sitter if you’re interested in attending. There’s something for the whole family—even the little ones.
- Giveaways: Like any great event, there will be giveaways happening throughout the day. There are even giveaways available just for letting us know you’re coming if you’re one of the first 100 people to RSVP! All you have to do is register at RSVPBlueCross@bcbsm.com.
Editor’s note: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a proud sponsor of Let’s Talk Health.
Photo Credit: Neil Cummings
If you liked this post, you might want to check out: