Make Award-Winning Salmon Cakes for Dinner Tonight
If you like the idea of salmon, but never seem to find a way to prepare it so the whole family enjoys it, these cakes are for you!
This recipe is courtesy of Geraud Singh, the winner of the 2014 Real Men Cook & Eat Healthy Cooking Contest. The 4th annual competition takes place in Grand Rapids on Friday, June 19. Find more details here.
Salmon Cakes with Corn and Avocado Salad
½ pound wild caught salmon, cooked and cooled
½ cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
4 TB fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 TB olive oil
Corn and Avocado Salad
1 ripe avocado, diced into ½ inch pieces
1 cup fresh sweet corn
¼ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TB extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking pan with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Place salmon fillet on pan, skin side down. Rub 2 TB of olive oil into salmon. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 min., until cooked through; allow to cool.
- Remove skin of salmon and flake the flesh. Transfer to a large bowl and add red onions, red bell pepper, parsley, mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. Divide mixture into six equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball, and then flatten like a pancake. Coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil in pan to pan sear salmon cakes.
- For the salad, just mix chopped avocados, corn, black beans, minced garlic, and 1TB of olive oil, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the salmon cakes and enjoy!
Watch real men cook up some healthy dishes at the 4th annual Real Men Cook & Eat Healthy Cooking Contest, part of “Let’s Talk Health” week, which starts on Monday, June 15.
Photo credit: Gwen