“Let’s Talk Health” Week Emphasizes Healthy Lifestyles for Grand Rapids Communities
Several new events and returning favorites will make the fourth annual “Let’s Talk Health” week impactful for Grand Rapids residents.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is partnering with community organizations to put on the week, which will take place June 15-20. Events will emphasize the importance of healthy lifestyles, including healthy cooking and physical activity.
“Let’s Talk Health” Week is a continuation of BCBSM’s commitment to improving the health of Michigan’s residents by bringing local leaders, advocates, agencies and members of faith-based organizations together to discuss health disparities that affect African-American and Latino communities.
Events planned for the week include:
Monday, June 15
- 6 p.m.: Blues Community Faith in Wellness Challenge Kick-Off Rally, New Hope Baptist Church Wear something to work out in for this inspiring kick-off to the Faith in Wellness challenge, which encourages Grand Rapids area congregations to get healthy. Local health and wellness organizations will be onsite with giveaways. RSVP for the kick-off by emailing [email protected]
- 7 p.m.: #MIKidsCan Cook Experience, New Hope Baptist Church Kids ages 8-18 can sign up for this this healthy cooking competition by requesting a registration form at [email protected]. Kids need to take the YMCA’s Cooking Matters class as a prerequisite. The kids’ class will be offered on Monday, June 8 at 6:30 p.m. at New Hope Baptist Church. Registration for the class is also at [email protected].
Tuesday, June 16
- 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Faith in Wellness Luncheon, Kroc Center Discussion at the Faith in Wellness Luncheon will focus on the role of the faith community when it comes to health. Reservations are required by emailing [email protected] to attend the luncheon.
Friday, June 19
- 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.: 4th Annual Real Men Cook & Eat Healthy Cooking Contest*, Baxter Community Center Enter your famous healthy main dish into the competition and win big! Completion of the YMCA’s Cooking Matters class offered on Monday, June 15 at 6:30 p.m. at New Hope Baptist Church is required as a condition of entering the competition. Sign up for the class and the competition at [email protected].
Saturday, June 20
- 8:30 a.m.: Grand C.I.T.Y. Sports 5K Father & Son Walk, Martin Luther King Park Celebrate dad by getting active with him during this multi-generational walk. Register at grandcitysports.com.
- 8:30 a.m.: 16th Annual Charles R. Drew Golf Outing, Quail Ridge Golf Course Register for this shotgun start event by visiting iotapiques.com/golfouting.html.
Raffle giveaways will take place throughout the week. For each event, attendees will have their names entered into the grand prize drawing to receive a bike. Grand prize drawings will take place on Monday, June 22 and participants do not need to be present to win.
Will you take part in any of the “Let’s Talk Health” Week events? Tell us about it in the comments.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
- #HealthyMe: BCBSM Employee Takes Faith in Wellness Personally
- Celebrating This Year’s Faith in Wellness Winners
- #MIKidsCan Cook Healthy Meals
Photo credit: Julie Bitely