Can Drinking Vinegar Actually be Good for You?
Trends seem to make a comeback every few decades, but these days there’s a new food trend that is resurfacing from centuries ago. Drinking vinegar, which was popular in the Colonial era, has recently made a comeback as a cool beverage that isn’t just refreshing, but also a health remedy.
What exactly is drinking vinegar?
Drinking vinegars aren’t just repurposed out-of-the-bottle distilled white vinegar. They are tasty drink mixers made with fresh fruit, vinegar and sugar. Also known as “shrubs,” drinking vinegars can add a splash of flavor to a cocktail or a non-alcoholic soda. Although vinegar is not typically viewed as appetizing, it can have a refreshing and tart taste when mixed with the right fruit, herbs and spices. They can be made in a variety of flavor combinations including blackberry/thyme, cucumber/mint/honey, cherry/vanilla/maple and strawberry/basil.
And they are supposed to be healthy?
That’s right! Studies show that vinegars are loaded with potential health benefits, including:
- Improving blood sugar by moderating insulin and glucose levels, something especially beneficial for diabetics.
- Protecting your heart by reducing triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Killing bacteria upon contact, which is why it can help if you have a sore throat caused by an infection.
- Boosting your energy. Apple cider vinegar contains potassium and enzymes that may help you feel more energized as well as relieve leg cramps and clear a stuffy nose.
What about weight loss?
Where can you find drinking vinegars in Michigan?
Michigan is actually home to one of the more popular drinking vinegars available. McClary Bros. handcrafts drinking vinegars using locally grown fruits and vegetables and has a tasting room in Ferndale. Their current selection of flavors includes Detroit Thai Basil, Michigan Apple Pie, Michigan Basil and Michigan Cherry. If you don’t live near Ferndale, their products are also sold at bars, restaurants and grocery stores across the state. For a full list of places where McClary Bros. drinking vinegars are sold, click here.
Are you interested in other ways you can add healthy beverages to your diet? Check out these blogs:
- The Creamy New Drink That’s Delicious and Calorie-Free
- 3 Amazing Healthy Alternatives to Pop
- And the Perfect Juicer for You Is…
This blog post is part of #HealthyMe, a personalized web experience based on your health and wellness goals. To sign up today, visit http://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/healthyme.
Photo credit: Andreas Levers