Quick and Easy Recipe: Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Not sure how to feed your family this week? Take the easy way out without skimping out on flavor or nutrition. This Greek pasta salad is simple and something the whole family will love.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 box of orzo rice (or another small-noodle pasta like rotini or penne)
- 1 red onion, diced well
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced well
- 1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt, pepper and oregano, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons, per serving, of your favorite oil-based dressing (Italian, Greek or red wine vinegar blends tend to work well.)
- Set up two pots of water on the stove and bring them both to a boil.
- In one pot, place the two chicken breasts. Cook through, for about 15-20 minutes then, cut into bite size pieces.
- In the other pot, place the pasta. Follow box instructions to cook until tender. Strain the pasta once it is cooked.
- Combine the chopped chicken, pasta, cut veggies and Feta. Mix well.
- Chill salad until serving.
- Dress with spices and dressing to desired consistency. If you’re faced with picky eaters, leave the dressing aside and let everyone choose how much to add on their own.
This recipe yields at least four large portions, plus leftovers. Not to mention, many variations can be made. No time to thaw or cook your chicken? Substitute shrimp or pre-cooked chicken for a faster, albeit sometimes less healthy, option. Not a fan of the veggies in the salad? Replace them with ones you like like asparagus, corn or artichokes.
Garnishing the dish with some pita bread and olive oil is usually pretty yummy too. Stuff the salad into pita pockets for another weekday option on the go!
Looking for more details on making this recipe? Check out our demonstration in the video below:
What recipes are your fast, family favorites? Let us know in the comments!
Photo credit: Lynn Gardner