From Halloween Hustles to the Free Press Marathon: Your guide to races throughout Michigan this October
With the changing leaves and fall scenery, you’re likely to have a beautiful view while running a race this month. Whether you’re tackling all 26.2 miles of the Detroit Free Press Marathon, cheering on friends at the Zombie Dash, or running/walking a local 5K, this time of the year in Michigan is perfect for any distance or fitness level.
Here are some upcoming races where you can run, walk, cheer or volunteer over the next few weeks:
North Michigan and Upper Peninsula
- October 5: Take in the fall colors while challenging yourself with rolling hills and steep elevation drops at the Mount Bohemia and Trail Run Festival.
- October 5: Unleash your inner Viking while supporting Charlevoix schools in the Leif Eriksson Day Row and Run.
- October 12: Take in the changing leaves and beautiful colors at this year’s Mish Fall Color Run in Gladstone.
- October 13: Bring the color of fall home with you with the YMCA Color Run in Iron Mountain.
- October 26: Join more than 2,500 participants running and walking along the inside trails of Mackinac Island at the 24th Annual Great Turtle Half.
- October 6: Keep those runners awake by decorating supportive signs at the Sleeping Bear Marathon run in Leelanau.
- October 5: Before you hit the Halloween candy, hit the pavement and join the Bark in the Dark 5K Run/Walk – Grand Rapids
- October 14: Grab an arm full of pumpkin and head for the finish line at The Great Pumpkin Dash in Travers City.
- October 26: Traverse City Zombie Run 5K offers plenty of tricks and treats for the weekend before Halloween.
- October 26: Dodge zombies looking for “fast food” and race against darkness at this year’s Zombie Dash 5K in Grand Rapids.
- October 5: Great Pumpkin Pursuit supports academic scholarships for Monroe County Community College students.
- October 5: Support Ostomy awareness a at the 2nd annual Run for Resistance Ostomy in Harrison Township.
- October 19: Attracting more than 25,000 participants, the Detroit Free Press Marathon is a fun event to bring the family to and support amazing athletes.
- October 26: Dress the family (and dogs!) up in costumes for the Halloween Hustle 5K & 10K in Shelby Township.
- October 27: You’re sure to have a “wicked” good time at Plymouth’s Wicked Halloween Run.
- October 5: Try the newest Frankenmuth road race, the Bridge Race Half Marathon & 5K.
- October 6: You and the whole family can run with the dinosaurs at Michigan State’s Dinosaur Dash.
- October 12: Wiard’s Orchard, voted number one horror attraction in Michigan, hosts Run, Scream, Run 5K & 10K in Ypsilanti.
- October 13: Enjoy the Hot Cider Hustle 10Mi and 5K in Lansing to help raise money for research in AVM.
- Blaze through forest trails in the Dragon in the Woods 5K while supporting local schools.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
- Michigan’s Best Summer Race’s
- RUNdown of Michigan’s Best Fall Races
- Find out why Michigan was made for Trail Running
Photo credit: hynkle