Race Day Playlist Inspired by Michigan
- Sonny Bono (born in Detroit) – I’ve Got You Babe He’s got you at a good, steady pace for the start of your race, babe.
- Madonna (born in Bay City) – Get into the Groove A perfect song to get you in your groove and to your happy pace.
- Smokey Robinson (born in Detroit) – Tears of A Clown Tears are FOR clowns… sweat is for runners!
- Alice Cooper (born in Detroit) – Poison Alice is singing to you…you’re poison running through this 5K!
- Eminem (grew up in Warren) – Lose Yourself There’s nothing better than losing yourself during a race. Just you, Em, and the pavement.
- Aretha Franklin (grew up in Detroit) – RESPECT Way to R-E-S-P-E-C-T your body by taking it on a run!
- Glenn Frey – The Eagles (grew up in Royal Oak) – Take it Easy Well you’re a running down the road tryin’ to loosen your load…
- Anthony Kiedis – Red Hot Chili Peppers (grew up in Grand Rapids) – Dani California “She’s a runner, rebel and a stunner.”
- Iggy Pop (born in Muskegon) – Lust for Life You’ve got that runner glow – and clearly that lust for life!
- Diana Ross (grew up near Highland Park and was neighbors with Smokey!) – Ain’t No Mountain Ain’t no mountains in Michigan…but there are sand dunes! What a great challenge to add to your run!
- Bob Seger (born in Dearborn before moving to Ann Arbor) – Old Time of Rock and Roll Bob rock and rolled his way through Michigan…now you can, too!
- Stevie Wonder (born in Saginaw) – Superstition Special race day shoe laces…a specific breakfast routine…do you have a running superstition?
Have some favorite race day songs? Let us know in the comments below. And check out the following blog posts for more on preparing for race day:
- Anyone can run a 5k, even you!
- The best way to recover after running a half marathon
- Run together: Benefits of joining a Michigan running group
Photo credit: meghanmccarthy