Nothing says summer like these three burgers on your grill
The quintessential kick off of to summer is uncovering the grill for the first time. For anyone who enjoys cooking, summer is the perfect time for enjoying local produce. Seasonal foods are available and abundant, and can turn your dishes from ordinary to extraordinary. The key is to keep things simple and let the quality of seasonal ingredients shine through.
Summer fare is lighter and often utilizes minimal indoor cooking. To keep the heat out of the house and kitchen, people typically to move the cooking outdoors to the grill. Cooking on the grill always adds a special flavor and ‘festive feeling’ at anytime. Simple, refreshing, and easy preparation techniques keep the work to a minimum and the heat index at bay.
One grilled common specialty is the burger. We’ve seen the burger reinvented many times, yielding new and never-ending concoctions. Here, we take a new spin on a classic twist with out sacrificing and ounce of taste. These recipes offer something for everyone and are more nutritious. We swapped the fat salt and extra calories for a combination of flavors to be the star of any back yard barbeque. Try these Gourmet Everyday grilled sandwich combinations for a terrific summer meal that is both healthy and delicious.
Check out these similar posts:
- Caprese Burger with Artichoke Pesto
- Change Up Burger Night With These Six Different Meats
- BBQ Tips: Try These 2 Recipes That Take Grilled Burgers for an Unexpected, Healthy Twist
Photo credit: Sarsmis
1 ½ Lbs of ground Sirloin or ground Buffalo
5 tbsp minced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp of fresh minced thyme, rosemary or oregano
½ tsp of Kosher salt
1/8 tsp of fresh ground pepper
Burger Trio on Whole Wheat Buns: Beef Burger
1. In a bowl, combine the meat, onion, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
2. Divide into four patties.
3. Grill over medium high heat or in a skillet to desired doneness, 4-5 min per side.
4. Serve with Tomato Compote.
1-½ lbs of wild caught salmon
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup diced celery
2 tbsp of finely chopped parsley
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Burger Trio on Whole Wheat Buns: Salmon Burgers
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon filet on a cookie tray, and surround with a small amount of water until cooked through approximately 10-12 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and allow fish to cool. Once temperate enough to handle, flake the salmon with a fork into a large steel bowl. 4. Add the onion, celery, parsley, egg, Dijon, salt and pepper.
5. Mix until all ingredients are well coated.
6. Form into 4 equal patties. Sear each side on a grill or sauté pan, turning once.
7. Serve with tartar sauce.
1 ½ Lbs of ground turkey
1 lb of baby spinach, chopped
1 lightly beaten egg
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp of dried oregano
4 tablespoons of red onion, finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Burger Trio on Whole Wheat Buns: Turkey Burger
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a stainless steel bowl, mix together the turkey, spinach, egg, garlic oregano and onion.
3. Separate into four patties.
4. Grill the burgers on medium high heat 4-5 minutes on each side, or bake until cooked through approximately 12 minutes.
5. Serve with Aoli.
½ Cup of low fat yogurt
1 green onion finely chopped
1/8 cup of finely chopped dill pickles
salt and pepper
Sandwich Toppers: Tartar Sauce
1. Whisk all ingredients into a bowl.
2. Chill one hour in the refrigerator to let flavors set.
3. Serve with Salmon Burger.
1 tbsp of olive oil
½ cup of finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
½ tsp of Truvia or Agave
¼ tsp Kosher salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
Sandwich Toppers: Tomato Compote
1. Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often approximately 3 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, sweetener, salt and pepper.
3. Cook until most of the liquid is evaporated the mixture reduces to approximately 1 cup.
4. Serve warm or cold on the hamburger.
1-cup low fat yogurt
2 tbsp of fresh chives, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp of chipotle Chile powder or hot sauce
Sandwich Toppers: Gourmet Everyday Style Chipotle Aioli
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Chill one hour before serving.