A Must Try Recipe: Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Everyone loves pizza, or at least I know I do and it is a family favorite in the Derocha household. The issue with pizza is that it can be higher in calories, fat and carbohydrates. So it is not always the healthiest option.
Enter this must try cauliflower pizza crust recipe. I know it sounds strange, but trust once you make this, it will be a recipe that you keep forever and make regularly. The beauty of this recipe is that it is easy and a healthier option for pizza, packed with flavor.
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Let me know how you like the cauliflower pizza crust.
Photo Credit: Grace Derocha, A Healthier Michigan and Janelle
1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower – should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic minced
optional a few shakes of crushed red pepper
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
Wash and dry cauliflower. Cut off stems and use florets. Pulse the cauliflower florets in your food processor to "rice" the cauliflower. Do this for about 30 seconds until the cauliflower looks like rice. Place riced cauliflower in microwave safe bowl and place in microwave for about 4 minutes.
Let cauliflower cool for a few moments. Then dump into clean dry kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. 1.This will make sure that your pizza crust sets and doesn't turn into a crumbly mess.
2. Mix all ingredients together. Using your hands works best.
3. Spray your cookie sheet or pizza stone with cooking spray. Then mold your cauliflower pizza crust onto it. Think thin crust pizza and it should be about 10 inches in diameter.
4. Bake your pizza crust in the oven for 8-12 minutes.
5. Take out crust and let cool for a few minutes.
6. Place your favorite pizza sauce and toppings on cauliflower crust and bake until cheese melts (about 5-7 minutes). I recommend vegetables and light cheese. Serve and enjoy!
Total Fat 2.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 31.3 mg
Sodium 110.4 mg
Potassium 118.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g