Your guide to events around the Wolverine State, June 27 through July 4, 2012
Michigan is nicknamed the Wolverine State, and has been symbolized by the apple blossom flower and the white pine tree for many years. Those symbols, the hundreds of miles of coastline and the 95 state parks and recreation areas are all parts of why many of us call the Wolverine State home.
Many of this summer’s Communications Department interns call Michigan home too. In honor of all the fun things happening in the state, we pulled events from a few of our hometowns for you to enjoy this weekend.
- Shop My Closet Party– Motown is Calling All Fashion Hunters! Some of the most fashion-forward metro Detroiters have taken the time to empty their closets of new and almost new designer clothing to be sold at killer prices. If you are interested in checking this out, admission at the International Institute (111 East Kirby St.) is free of charge. You can look forward to swag bags, treats, and music by DJ Laa Cha.
- Ann Arbor Summer Festival- The Ann Arbor Summer Festival has been sharing its presentation of outdoor entertainment and community involvement for nearly three decades, in fact, this year marks the 29th season of the festival. Although this a comfortable scene for singles, families can enjoy performances, exhibits, events, parties and more along with eclectic music, dance, theatre, film and visual arts.
- Greater Michigan Art Exhibition- This season, the city of Midland will host the 51st annual Greater Michigan Art Exhibit, one of the few remaining state-wide visual arts competitions in Michigan. The exhibit is free of charge and provides a dramatic atmosphere where Michigan artists can display their work. Both established and emerging artist normally participate to present their original works of media or mixed media. Some pieces are even sold during the exhibition which ends continues until August 18, 2012
- 10th Annual Island Lake Of Novi Triathlon and Open Water Swim The Ford Athletic Swim and Triathlon Club (F.A.S.T) sponsors this annual event, which allows triathletes with ranging abilities to showcase their running, swimming and biking skills around the beautiful Lake of Novi community.
- Comics and Coneys- Wyandotte The Wyandotte Patch and Wyandotte Downtown Development Authority are joining together to host a family friendly event. On June 29th the “Comics and Coneys” event will occur from 6-9pm on the corner of First and Elm St. The Wyandotte Patch will host the coney fest, featuring coney dogs from Joe’s Hamburgers while the Downtown Development Authority will have special guest comic book heroes in the downtown area in addition to the free comic book giveaways. Proceeds from this event will be split between Wyandotte Blessings in a Backpack and Wyandotte Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
- Colored Pencil Plus Exhibit– The public is invited to experience the creative work by the artists of the Detroit chapter of the Colored Pencil Society of America. The City Gallery is located in the Costick Center (28600 W. Eleven Mile Road, Farmington Hills) and is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Get Downsized Auditions Not your average Saturday in West Bloomfield. Get Downsized is known as Michigan’s local version of the Biggest Loser and promotes optimal fitness and nutrition for participant’s. Auditions for this local show will be held Saturday June 30th at 1:00pm and the location is 6750 Orchard Lake Rd West Bloomfield, MI 48322. This program provides services beyond what the normal weight loss program does and is tailored specifically to the individual needs of participants. There is no associated audition fee. For more information, feel free to visit the program website: http://www.getdownsized.com/
What events are you looking forward to attending around Michigan this weekend?
Photo credit ifmuth